• September 24, 2020, 08:31:17 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: i2004 & changing DHCP servers  (Read 3855 times)

Offline flanker

• Rookie
i2004 & changing DHCP servers
« on: June 28, 2013, 05:21:28 AM »
Hi

We're in the progress of migrating to new DHCP servers, moving across data & voice scopes.  On switching to new servers all our Nortel phones will happily swap across to the new DHCP servers when the scopes are activated except for the i2004s.  These sit on the Starting DHCP screen until they are power cycled, at which point they will happily acquire a new address.

In testing single phones they will swap over fine.  I think what is happening is that they will happily swap DHCP servers if they can renew their current address (which is why they work in testing when there is a full range available) but fail when they can't renew their existing IP (which is why it fails in mass migration as other phones grab those IPs in the new scope first).  Making a reservation on the new scope of the phones existing IP prior to migration also causes the same issue, which supports the diagnosis.

Firmware is 0603B76.

Can anyone shed any light on this, and ideally a way around it.  I don't particularly want to have to walk the whole campus power cycling phones!

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: i2004 & changing DHCP servers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »
Hi flanker and welcome to the forums!

Assuming these IP phones are powered via PoE you could just cycle the PoE on the network switch.

Eventually the watchdog timer should kick-in and cause the IP phone to reboot.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline flanker

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »
Thanks for the comment.  My view was also that they should eventually reboot.  All the other models do, but the i2004 (at least at our firmware) don't.  They require manually rebooting, and unfortunately cycling PoE isn't an option for various other reasons. 

(they are OK if they can get the same address allocated, but without setting them all as reservations this doesn't tend to happen)

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:33:56 AM »
What version of firmware are you running on the i2004s? The last release was 0604DCO.bin (UNIStim 3.5);

http://support.avaya.com/downloads/download-details.action?contentId=C2010110317412614648615&productId=P0602&releaseId=2.x

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!