• November 26, 2020, 07:32:49 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How to setup 1120e and 5520's with LLDP  (Read 2658 times)

Offline scmcdonald

• Rookie
How to setup 1120e and 5520's with LLDP
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:36:25 AM »
Hi

We have about 100 1120e phones connected to  Avaya 5520 switches running v6.1.2 firmware. I used one of Michael's earlier blogs to set them up and its worked very well using an ISC DHCP server. LLDP is configured on the switch and a voice vlan defined in ADAC

We recently upgraded a switch to firmware v6.3.2 and it now no longer works. The switch ports no longer seem to be able to configure the ports correctly. The port does switch to a the voice vlan, but dhcp requests for VoIP seem to come in on the PVID vlan (i.e our data vlan). I see in the release notes for 6.3.2 that there have been lots of additions to 802.ab.

So first question, what do I need to do to get the 1120e phones working with v6.3.2

Second question. while looking around to solve this I came across this posting

https://forums.networkinfrastructure.info/nortel-ip-telephony/again-nortel-ip-phone-and-the-dhcp-auto-config-challenge/

In this posting Michael refers to using LLDP-MED instead of DHCP. What does this mean exactly, Does it mean I still need a DHCP server to hand out IP, but I can specify all the phone and call parameters in the switch now. Is there an example how to do this?

thanks
Steve

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: How to setup 1120e and 5520's with LLDP
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »
You upgraded a working configuration or you configured a new switch which had already been upgraded?

There's a big difference... you can check out this updated post;

http://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2013/02/avaya-ethernet-routing-switch-4800-series-configuration-template/

There are multiple pages to that post so make sure you read all 3 pages.

If you are configuring a new switch you need to remove the default LLDP profile or it will interfere with the LLDP-MED profile;

interface fa ALL
 no lldp med-network-policies
exit

Good Luck!

We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline scmcdonald

• Rookie
Re: How to setup 1120e and 5520's with LLDP
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »
Thanks for the Blog references.

This was a working switch that was upgraded from 6.2.x to 6.3.2.
We managed to resolve the issue, pays to read the earlier release notes in 6.3.0

thanks
Steve