• February 23, 2020, 09:20:18 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: bcm remote 1140e phones occasionally have one way audio  (Read 7395 times)

Offline EarthJuice

• Rookie
bcm remote 1140e phones occasionally have one way audio
« on: May 30, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
Hi,

I have a bcm 400, installed in 2008 and not patched since then; 4.0.2.03.

I've set up vpn tunnels on checkpoint edge-n devices between two branch offices and set up 1140e handsets at these remote locations.  Occasionally after a loss of communications (power outage, reset of the bcm, reset of a firewall or router) maybe one or two handsets experience one-way audio.  They can hear the caller, but the caller cannot hear them.  If I deregister the handset and the user re-registers the handset it works again.

I've seen a couple of postings with this exact issue, unfortunately no solutions...anyone have any ideas?  I'm at my wits end...tried many things to reproduce the problem locally so I could do more diagnostics, have never been able to...the phone does ping ok and replies back.

I'm also experiencing this wierd staticy noise on some of the handsets...sort of like listening to an am radio and hearing a car with a high voltage leak drive by....

Best,

S'

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: bcm remote 1140e phones occasionally have one way audio
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »
Hi EarthJuice and welcome to the forums!

The infamous one-way-speech-path (OWSP) issue can occur from a multitude of sources, sometimes network related and other times IP phone or software related. In this case you have a VPN tunnel between the 1140e and the BCM so that would be my immediate suspect.

When the problem occurs does rebooting the 1140e resolve the problem?

If you use the ping feature of the 1140e itself can it ping the BCM?

Are you having any issues with the IP phones that are local to the BCM (those that are at the same site)?

What version of software are you running on the 1140e IP phone?

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline EarthJuice

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:08:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply, adding a few more notes...

In direct answer to your questions:
Rebooting the 1140e does not fix the problem, only deregistering and having the user reregister.
The 1140e can ping the BCM.
The local phones can also have the problem, had it happen once when I rebooted the BCM.
The 1140e's are running firmware version 0625C7M.

Other things...
Had a phone tech out, he had no idea, he spent an hour on support with someone, said there was a patch released in 2010.  He was supposed to have sent release notes, unfortunately I've never gotten those.

The problem seems to be related to Power Over Ethernet; I've never had the problem with phones powered by an External Power Supply.

A packet trace indicates that the handset does not transmit any voice packets.  It receives them fine, just doesn't transmit voice packets.  It does send packets to the BCM before and after the call, no packets at all during the call.  This sorta makes sense as you can place a call... needs to communicate with the BCM to do that.

There seems to be a higher number of incidents on some phones...these also tend to be people that use their phones more.

The problem pretty certainly seems to be related to loss of communication with the BCM.  I've just received a PoE Injector, set up a 1120 handset on it, tried removing the ethernet cable several times and haven't experienced the problem yet... trying to get a test handset in the state so I can ssh into it and try more diagnostics (thanks for your notes on that!!!).  That phone is a 1120 so I'm going to try moving my 1140 over and see if that is it.

The thought also occurred to me there might be more info in log files, tried looking through them but haven't seen anything...I'm fairly certain the problem is in the handset, just not quite sure how to confirm that or of course how to fix it.

I did try changing the default codec to G 729, didn't see any impact.  The rest of the settings are still default; jitter buffer Auto, payloads at 30ms.

The phones are set up as Static IP, S1 is set to the BCM, otherwise default settings.

Best,

S'

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:30:12 PM »
That's very interesting... never seen or heard of that before if it is truly related to the PoE.

The old Nortel site used to provide access to all the BCM patches... not so with the Avaya website.

:(

Sorry I can't offer more help but let us know how you make out.
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline EarthJuice

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
Yea, I've literally spent days on this...only have two cat 5's into my office so I use external chargers there, never have been able to re-create the problem, still can't with the PoE injector, prossibly somethin in combination with the Cisco switch, dunno.  I've also tried moving to another location (My House) without a PoE switch, couldna get them to break there either.

Was doing a little more lite reading this morning, came across this comment...Most common sources of one-way or no-way speech with IP is either codec mismatch (wrong type or different packet size) or packet routing error (voice packets cannot get from the source to the destination).   

Since I'm leaving most things up to defaults decided to explicitly set the codec and jitter buffer on each handset... set all to G.729 and Medium Jitter, see if I get any more occurances.

Forgot to mention I had a remote user with the one way speech path issue call a handset in their same location (this would mean the handset would contact the remote BCM, then peer-to-peer would take over ruling out routing issues right?), still one way speech to the local handset; the call did go through.  Sorta indicates to me that the 1140e is crashing on the transmit packet creation as there were no Tx packets coming from the handset in question.

Anyways had half a dozen users that commonly have this problem enable SSH, reviewed the local phone logs, don't see anything other than mentions of loss of contact with the BCM and then reconnection alerts.  One hindrance is the 1140e apparently has its own internal date/time.  Happen to know how to reset that?

One of four handsets I checked had this critical error...can't seem to find any nortel documentation on these tho.

***** CRITICAL ERROR LOG FILE *****

=== Record #000 ===
CRITICAL ERROR  Logged 2002-01-01T00:00:01.510Z FW: 0625C7M  CLASS: STATE         CATEGORY: SOFTWARE
File: f:/fw/build/../mcu/i200x/app/etherset.cpp Line #1178 Error #4
File: f:/fw/build/../mcu/i200x/app/etherset.cpp Line #1178 Error #4
Description: Application startup
Restart lockup counter = 1
DebugInfo:
Can not get debug info.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »
There are plenty of OWSP (one-way-speech-path) issues that arise out of bugs in the Call Server software. Sometimes it has to-do with the characteristics of that specific call. Where it originated from, where it was transferred to, was it call forwarded, etc.

You can get into codec mismatches and stuff but those are usually pretty easy to resolve as you've already mentioned.