• September 22, 2018, 03:41:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Avaya 9641G and 9641GS confusion  (Read 2662 times)

Offline WARDEN

• Rookie
Avaya 9641G and 9641GS confusion
« on: November 23, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
bit of background here... our Telecom guy decided to test if the grass is greener somewhere else and dropped us like a bad habit. So that job description that says "other" now means I'm it. Been doing this for about a year and a half and have picked up a bit but still don't know near what I need to.

so here is my problem...

I have 9641G and GS series phones. Just started to put out the GS models until I discovered an issue. ~ 4 are deployed right now until I get this sorted.

all my G series works 100% of the time....when calling to each other. When calling my GS series phones, ONLY 5 extensions do not work as they should...the rest work flawlessly. Same thing in going the other direction. The GS phones can call every other phone in the network...including other G series phones perfectly, except those 5 extensions.

here is where the head banging for me comes in.

1. I take the suspect GS phone and attach it into another switch in a different part of the building. Same thing
2. Assign suspected GS phone extension to G series phone. No issue.
3. set up new GS phone with same extension...same issue
4. set up GS phone with NEW extension...same issue - repeat step 1 and 2 with same results

recent discovery - making a call from GS phone to troubled extension it rings 4 times, I hear call is picked up...they hear me, I cannot hear them.

they hang up and call me back, same thing....can hear me...I cannot hear them

thoughts?

Offline WARDEN

• Rookie
Re: Avaya 9641G and 9641GS confusion
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
 :( so I take it you all are just as confused as I?

:'(

Offline TankII

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:20:51 PM »
I don't have any 9641GS phones to play with, so I cannot help.
Are you using the 46XXsettngs.txt for any configuration?  If the GS is a SIP load, you might have to set specific settings in the text config file to address the dialing issues.

TankII

Offline WARDEN

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »
I don't have any 9641GS phones to play with, so I cannot help.
Are you using the 46XXsettngs.txt for any configuration?  If the GS is a SIP load, you might have to set specific settings in the text config file to address the dialing issues.

TankII

I looked at this earlier and didn't see anything. But ill go and look again incase I missed something.

Offline sleibfried

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:21:13 PM »
This is an older post, but I wanted to give input incase you haven't figured it out yet.

From reading the guide for the 9621/9641G/9641GS the only difference in the GS looks to be the screen size and sensitivity.

First try swapping out the handsets to makes sure you don't have bad handsets. Try using speaker phone to verify. It would be hard to believe, but something to try. Since you can log the same extension into another phone and it works, I would rule out any ip-network-region \ codec settings that are incorrect.

Next would be one-way audio. This can be caused by a few things.
1. Network region \ codec mismatch, but I would assume no one would hear each other if this was the case.
2. QOS is not being applied to the phone. If the GS phones are not in the voice vlan and QOS is not being applied the packets could be getting dropped. Verify how the phones are being put into a voice vlan ( mac-detection or LLDP ). On our initial deployment we did mac-detection and we had to make sure the phone mac-ranges were in the switch configuration. We have since switched over to lldp as it makes it a lot easier than figuring out why a phone isn't in the voice vlan. We use all Avaya\Nortel networking equipment so everything is configured in the ADAC config including the mac-ranges.

The last thing I would check is the firmware the working GS phones have vs the non-working ones. Is it the latest version also?

Offline WARDEN

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »
Ran through all that. And then some.   However I DID figure it out finally  8) 8) 8)

Back when I was fresh into this phone world, they had a support company come out to increase the subnet because we were out of IPs.

However, what they DIDNT do was update the subnet on all the devices in the environment. Some phones were set as STATIC and hardcoded to the old subnet.

Finding all those phones and resetting them, plus correcting the subnet on the other devices...fixed it!

Offline TankII

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »
Time to switch to DHCP!  Quick reboot and you'd be back in business!
TankII