• September 24, 2020, 06:57:08 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 1140e Basics  (Read 2995 times)

Offline timfoster

• Rookie
1140e Basics
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
Hi, I'm not a telephony engineer by any means, but I have bought a Nortel 1140E handset from eBay that I'd like to setup with my voip provider.

The problem is I have no idea how to get it set up. Thanks to this forum I was able to a factory reset using the RENEWMAC sequence. This stopped it looking for the server from the company it originally came from but I got no further. All I got on my screen was looking for DHCP. After a bit more reading I tried double tapping the services button and got the admin password box, but it doesn't seem to be colorset*

All I have now is F/W Version 0625C60.

I understand that I need a server for it to get the configuration from, but I can't even get it to that point yet.

I have a server running Windows Server 2012 Foundation which (I hope) I can use to configure this handset, and I use Voipfone in the UK as my SIP provider. They provide a LinksysPAP box that has all the config for their service. If I plug a regular handset straight into that box it works fine, but I want to be able to run this Nortel handset in my office at the bottom of the garden. I have network ports in there so I can get the phone on the network (and when I say 'on the network' I mean I can physically plug it in and things light up), but that's as far as I can get.

Can anyone help me with some basics?

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: 1140e Basics
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
Hi Tim and welcome to the forums!

I would suggest trying the following default admin password;

C O L O R * S E T

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline timfoster

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:06:16 AM »
Cool. Thanks Michael. I'm in! Now what do I do  ???

My telecoms knowledge is none existent. Could you give me some pointers as to where to start? I tried reading the manual on the Avaya site, but it presupposes a level of knowledge that I don't have.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
I would suggest you start with this...

http://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100123695

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!