• September 23, 2020, 08:16:26 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 1120E FW 062A8L INTERMITTANTLY DISCONNECTS  (Read 2388 times)

Offline timothyr

• Rookie
1120E FW 062A8L INTERMITTANTLY DISCONNECTS
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »
Hi

I have about 50 1120E phones at home users locations.  The phones sit behind cisco 891 routers creating a vpn to my core.  Every so often, the phones appear to do a soft reboot.  If this happens when you are on a call, the media path stays up until you end the call.  As soon as you hang up the call, the phone cycles, as if it lost communication to the core.

Any info or help you can give would be welcomed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:52:27 PM by timothyr »

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: 1120E FW 062A8L INTERMITTANTLY DISCONNECTS
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:50:52 AM »
Hi timothyr and welcome to the forums!

The 1120Es are most likely experiencing a watchdog timeout and are rebooting to try and recover. The Avaya (formerly Nortel) IP phones will watch for a poll from the Signaling Servers every 10 seconds. If they don't see a poll within 10 seconds they assume that something bad has happened and will attempt to reboot in order to recover.

You might want to try upgrading the firmware to see if that offers any relief.

Do you see packet loss on your VPN connections? If so then it's more likely to be the fact that you are running the IP phones across a VPN tunnel which can be unreliable at times than a firmware issue.

Cheers!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!