• October 17, 2018, 07:39:01 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: VSP7000 v10.3.3 IST question  (Read 1768 times)

Offline CptnBlues63

VSP7000 v10.3.3 IST question
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
Ok, so I have a couple VSP7000's I setup to lab with.  I upgraded them to v10.3.3 software to take advantage of the fact that in that version you can create IST without paying for licenses.  I set them up quite some time ago and had everything working nicely.  I did some lab testing on them and that was going nicely when things got really busy for me here at work.

I didn't have time to do anything with those switches for months and just last week I was checking them to ensure they were ready to work and they're not.  The IST between the two has stopped functioning and their "Running Type" has changed from istMLT to NormalMLT in the MLT window.

I tried resetting them to factory and redoing the IST's but the same thing is happening.  Now, it has been some months since I last did this so I thought perhaps I missed a step.  Here' s the configuration guide I wrote and used in the original install and tried again last Friday and this morning with no luck.

++++++++++++++++++++++++Begin GUIDE++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-   Configure IST ports (trunk, add all VLAN’s, disable STP, label appropriately)
-   Create the IST VLAN
  o   VLAN >> VLAN’s >> Basic tab
  o   Click on Insert
  o   Enter VLAN ID and name.  Type = Port
-   Add IST ports to IST VLAN
-   Highlight the IST VLAN and click IP at the top of the VLAN screen
-   Enter the Peer IP and netmask of the switch you are presently configuring.  (NOTE:  This peer IP should be figured out ahead of time.  Typical configuration is: 10.10.10.xxx  Where the xxx is the last octet of the actual switch IP address)
-   Enable Global Routing
  o   IP >> IP >> Globals tab
  o   Select Enable and click Apply
-   Create the IST MLT
  o   VLAN >> MLT/LACP >> Multilink Trunks tab
  o   Add Peer IST ports to PortMembers and click Apply
  o   Set Name to selected name (typically “Peer IST”)
  o   Enable MLT (Set Enable to True and hit Apply)
  o   Change MltType to istMLT and click Apply
-   Select (highlight) the Peer IST MLT and click on IstMLT at the top of the screen
-   Enter the Peer IP address of the other switch in the cluster and Peer IST VLAN IP and set SessionEnable to enable and click Apply
-   Once you’ve configured the IST, plug them in and check to ensure they are working properly.
  o   VLAN >> Multilink Trunks tab >> RunningType = istMLT

++++++++++++++++++++++++++End GUIDE++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, have I missed something?

TIA

Offline CptnBlues63

Re: VSP7000 v10.3.3 IST question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:07:53 AM »
Really.........nobody here has configured IST's on VSP7000's????

Oh well, I have to call Avaya about two other switches, I'll see if I can't get an engineer on the phone and ask him/her.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »
Normally I would love to just try it out to see, but I have no Avaya VSP equipment at work or at home.   :'(

Offline Øyvind Nikolaisen

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 04:14:11 AM »
Actually, I have six VSP7000 clusters running pretty well on 10.3.3

On all of these clusters we are using rear-ports for the IST with spb uplinks to VSP9000s. Clicking all over the place to make an IST has never been my preference, I like the better control you have in the cli. I have enclosed a config file for one of the IST-nodes in the cluster, remember to change ip-addresses for the IST vlan and peer ip addresses. The config also contains a basic SPB config in case you use that. If you don't use SPB, remember to add all client vlans to the IST.

Best regards,
Øyvind

Best regards,

Øyvind Nikolaisen
Senior Network Architect
NetNordic Communications AS
Avaya ACE Fx #204

Offline CptnBlues63

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
Normally I would love to just try it out to see, but I have no Avaya VSP equipment at work or at home.   :'(

Well, according to Avaya my procedure guide is the correct non-CLI method.  I was online with them for a couple hours yesterday working through several switch issues and made a point of asking the engineer about that.  Mostly because I had configured the IST's previously using the same procedure, and they worked just fine.  I may try upgrading to 10.3.4 to see if that fixes the issue and if not, I'm going to have to play musical switches to see if one of the two is bad.  Luckily I still have two more in boxes to test with.

Actually, I have six VSP7000 clusters running pretty well on 10.3.3

On all of these clusters we are using rear-ports for the IST with spb uplinks to VSP9000s. Clicking all over the place to make an IST has never been my preference, I like the better control you have in the cli. I have enclosed a config file for one of the IST-nodes in the cluster, remember to change ip-addresses for the IST vlan and peer ip addresses. The config also contains a basic SPB config in case you use that. If you don't use SPB, remember to add all client vlans to the IST.

Best regards,
Øyvind

I downloaded your example config.....thanks for that!  Most things are quicker through the CLI but some stuff I like to do via COM or the web interface simply because I can visually verify things as I go along. 

We just tested some newer Avaya equipment with a view toward using it when we do a refresh of network appliances in the next 12 to 24 months.  We looked at SPBM and I hope to use it if we decide to go with Avaya products (most likely).

I hadn't thought about using the rear ports for the IST's as our production cluster is two stacks of VSP7000's and the rear ports are being used to stack each side of the cluster.  I may try that on the two switches I'm using in the lab at preset.

In any case, thanks for the help and info.