• October 29, 2020, 10:29:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Upgrade ERS 5000 with no-reset  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Imran ta

• Rookie
Upgrade ERS 5000 with no-reset
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:08:06 AM »
Hi,

Well, just moving for an upgrade from 6.2.4 to new software 6.2.7 on 5600 hybrid.
I just want to confirm, that if i could hold the switch for a couple of hours after copying diag and image with no-reset. Will it make my stack unstable till the reboot, or will it be  working fine.

If i copy both the upgrade files and then if i hold it to push some more config, will it be ok ?

members please share your experience in case, you have done this in past.

Especially will it make my switch vlacp unstable for that period of time ?

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Upgrade ERS 5000 with no-reset
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
Please STOP posting your questions into threads that have no relevance to your question(s).

Please start a new topic.

You can certainly perform the upgrade with the "no-reset" option, and then reboot the stack during a scheduled maintenance period. I would suggest you keep the time between the two to a minimum. If you performed the upgrade at 5PM and then rebooted the stack at 12AM that would be fine. I wouldn't suggest leaving days between the too tasks.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline Johan Witters

• BKM Networks
Re: Upgrade ERS 5000 with no-reset
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:41:01 AM »
It really doesn't matter how big the gap is between the transfer of the image and the reboot of the device: the switch keeps running the current software version loaded in memory until the switch is rebooted.

One warning though: in case you upgrade a stack, try to reboot as soon as possible: If 1 unit in the stack gets rebooted, it will get stuck in a loop:
1) stack gets new firmware version y uploaded, but still running version x
2) a unit reboots (crash / power cable unplugged / ...) and loads version y from flash
3) the unit tries to join the stack, the stack is still running version x
4) the base unit notices the unit is running a different agent and pushes its own software copy to the unit. Because we already copied version y to the stack, the base unit retrieves version y from flash and sends it to the unit
5) the unit reboots, continue reading with step 2

You can only fix this by either copying the version x back to the stack, to the rebooted unit, or reboot the full stack.

Also note that in some cases you first need to upgrade the diagnostics and reboot first, and upgrade the agent afterwards. This is indicated in the release notes in case this is necessary.
Kind regards,

Johan Witters

Network Engineer
BKM NV