• November 27, 2020, 02:27:42 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Trouble with EDM accessing certain 5520 switches  (Read 3396 times)

Offline WarEagleEd

• Rookie
Trouble with EDM accessing certain 5520 switches
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:09:11 PM »
Hello All,

I am having trouble accessing switches via EDM. I noticed this first with a 24-port switch (5520-24T-PWR). It is a new one with the "Avaya" name on it. However, I can access an older Nortel 5520-24T-PWR. I have checked to make sure that my computer is in the same domain as the switch I am accessing at the time. Also, I can access both switches via the console port. The software on the new 5520 is V6.2.0.008 & firmware is 6.0.0.18. The older 5520-24T-PWR that I can access via EDM has sopftware V6.0.0.005 & firmware 6.0.0.6. My EDM is version 6.2.1.0. Is the difference in software between old and new switch the issue? Do I need to get a mewer version of EDM?

Thanks,

Ed

Offline Flintstone

• Global Moderator
Re: Trouble with EDM accessing certain 5520 switches
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »
Hi WarEagleEd and welcome to the forum,

EDM is stored locally on the switch and comes with the firmware.  Do you mean JDM.  This the old Nortel software that you had to download and install prior to access the switches?  JDM has been superseded by EDM.  The drawback is that EDM is slower to use compared to JDM and JDM no longer supports the latest switch features?

CheerZ

Offline WarEagleEd

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:34:46 PM »
Yes, you're right, I am using JDM.

Ed

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »
it was around v6.2 when support for Java Device Manager (JDM) was dropped on the 5000 series switches
for your older switches you can use JDM, for your new switches you will need to web into them using Embedded Device Manager (EDM).

the last stable version of Java Device Manager (JDM) that supported all the legacy Nortel and older version Avaya switches was 6.2.1.3.  I would upgrade to that version.  that version of JDM still supports all the 400 series switches and older releases for the 2000, 4000 and 5000, and 8600 series gear.
There was a JDM 6.2.1.4 release, but it was complete rubbish.  and any JDM release after 6.2.1.4 only supports the ERS8300

and as flintstone mentioned, Embedded Device Manager (EDM) is the replacement for JDM and now acts as a client-less web-server on the local switch. 

I have grown to love it. but there is allot of browser stability issues. You need to keep IE, Firefox and Chrome on your PC as you never know which one is going to work for you.
ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8

Offline CptnBlues63

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »
Just to add to what Paul L said...

I've found I have issues using EDM when directly connecting to a switch while I have a gateway address configured on my PC/Laptop. 

Again, this is only when directly connecting to a switch with a network cable from the NIC in my PC/Laptop.  When connecting remotely to a switch, it's never a problem.

I do a lot of programming and labbing at my desk and discovered this the hard way.  Once I figured out to remove the default gateway, I've never had another problem.

Offline WarEagleEd

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
I found the solution to my problem and I hate to say what it was, but I input the single switch IP in the stack IP field...

Ed