• September 25, 2017, 10:05:12 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Setting Nortel ERS4500/5300 Series as dumb switch  (Read 244 times)

Offline nemesis

• Rookie
Setting Nortel ERS4500/5300 Series as dumb switch
« on: August 06, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »
Hallo,

i tried it several times and couldn't setup a simple example with only vlan1 and a stupid external nat router to get dhcp to a client on port 1 of the switch.
The port mirroring option to get the nat router - doing dhcp - and client together also don't worked.

Client is on port 1 and the nat router is on port 25 (4526t pwr).

It would be nice to use different vlan ids to seperate wifi ap, network camera and clients, but it's for the first time also ok when the switch could act as a dumb layer2 switch where a dumb nat router that knows nothing of vlan ids would just work.

Is there an easy way to do this? Except to use a dumb layer2 switch. ;)

Thanks in advance,
Roland

Offline bbinder

• Rookie
Re: Setting Nortel ERS4500/5300 Series as dumb switch
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »
I don't quite understand your statements as you say one VLAN and then you say multiple VLANs. You can certainly do it. If the port coming from your upstream switch is just an access port then have it untagged for the VLAN you want on the downstream dumb layer 2 switch. Match the ports and then anything else you plug in will get the addresses you have on that VLAN and nothing else. If you're going to want multiple VLANs for cameras and other stuff you can tag all on each side and add the VLANs as members on both sides. Done deal.

Offline MatzeKS

• matzeks
    • Controlware GmbH - Germany
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 02:26:53 AM »
Hi Roland,

by default each ERS is an L2 switch without routing enabled.

I also don't quite understand your need of "mirrored ports" to implement an external NAT-Router.

If you want to implement more that one single vlan you'll have to play with local routing on ERS and static routes (your ERS subnets) on your NAT-Router direction ERS.

Simple and easy implementation, done in less than 2 minutes  ;)

Cheers
------------------------------------------------------
ACE-Fx #00050

Offline nemesis

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:00:09 AM »
Hi MatzeKS,

I tried it first to let an normal dhcpd on an wan (umts) router on ERS port 25 to serve a client on port 1 of ERS. Both are on vlan1 configured on the ERS.
External Router with DHCPd and dhcp client in vlan1 are in the same subnet. I maybe only forgot a setting on the ERS to remove the Vlan tagging on the port 25 so the Router can see the DHCP request from the client!?

blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2011/01/vlans-ip-routing-ethernet-routing-switch tried it also with the help of this.

When i remove both ports (1 and 25) from vlan1 it should act as normal Layer 2 Switch, right?

code vlan members remove 1 1,25 code

Thanks,
Roland
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:11:15 AM by nemesis »

Offline MatzeKS

• matzeks
    • Controlware GmbH - Germany
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:18:49 AM »
... please reset your ERS to factory defaults first (CLI: boot default), you haven't to play with tagging, vlan membership, etc. for your setup.
Once your Router with DHCPd is running and assigned for that subnet, all client should be able to be served.

also it make sense do have a look in the ERS logfile by CLI: "sho log sort-reverse" to investigate in any case.

good luck
------------------------------------------------------
ACE-Fx #00050