• September 18, 2020, 07:38:44 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Remove 2 Nortel 5520 switches out of the stack.  (Read 5339 times)

Offline flames1000

• Rookie
Remove 2 Nortel 5520 switches out of the stack.
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
Hi,

I will try to be as precise as possible. I have 4 Nortel 5520 switches that are in a stack, Now, I have 2 of them that are no longer being used and have nothing plugged into them and just have the power on with cables connected to the back of the switches.The switches are switch 3 and 4. Switches 1 and 2 are active and serving connections, so how can I properly retire the 3 and 4 switches and leave 1 and 2 in a running state and not have the 1 and 2 switches complain that they no longer see 3 and 4.

I have not seen any documentation to help me on this and im hoping this will not be too painful, but I guess I will see what happens.

thank you for any information you can provide.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: Remove 2 Nortel 5520 switches out of the stack.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »
All you should need to do is power down switches 3 and 4 and disconnect them from the stacking cable chain.  Then plug switch 2's stacking cable back in to unit 1 and you should be done.  Just make sure unit 1 or 2 is running as the base unit for the stack.

Offline flames1000

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
Thank you Telair for your reply.

I have a question. The switches are in a cascade down configuration in the back of the switches and there is 1 long stacking cable that is in the base cascade up connector and is connected to switch 4 down connector. I will need to remove that cable and I can use a smaller one to connect the switch 2 down as its connected to switch 3 up, and then to switch 1 up, then remove the cables from switch 3 and 4.

Now, can this be done on the fly or will the switches lose access? Im thinking it should be fine as it looks like redundant connections to the switches as both up and down connections are used and switch 1 is set as the base.

Is there anything on the base switch that needs to be done to remove switch 3 and 4, or will it reconfigure itself? Im looking in the java device manager at the 4 switches, so im just making sure I don't miss anything. I guess this was more than a question, but thank you for answering as im a bit of a noobie at this and want to make sure its done right and don't have to power off the switches if possible :)

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:03:25 PM »
Not a problem.  We were all new to this stuff at some point. 

As long as you don't break the stacking cable from unit 1 to unit 2 you can disconnect the return cable from unit 4 back to unit 1.  Then yes, you can use a short cable now go from unit 2 back to unit 1.  It can all be done on the fly, no problem.  Nothing needs to be done on the other units beforehand.  You say you are using JDM still.  What code level are you running on your switches?

Offline flames1000

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:05 PM »
Hi,

Correct, The down connector on switch 1 would be connected to up connector on switch 2 and then I would take the switch 2 down and connect it to switch 1 up and then remove switches 3 and 4.

This sounds to easy...  :) and nothing else needs to be done? the base will see that the other 3 switches are gone then?

Im using code - 5.1.2.034. We don't have any maintenance on these switches and eventually will be retired someday.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
Just make sure you have a backup of your configs.  Yeah, that's very old switch code now and is out of support.  The only thing I can think of is until you reboot the stack, JDM will show the missing units as blanks when you bring it up to manage.

Offline flames1000

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply. We will be retiring the switches this weekend, and only keeping the base unit as we will have enough extra ports to use for the forseeable future. Im going to unhook the cascaded cables from all 4 switches and since the base unit will no longer be one, is it fine to just turn the switch back to the non base position, or will I lose anything config wise (I have the config backed up now)

Im thinking possibly no, all should be ok, but would like a second opinion.

thanks!

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »
Be aware if you disconnect all the other units from the base, the base will no longer be a stack and will start using it's switch IP.  Not it's stack IP.  So you may loose IP management of the unit.  In v6.1 code they added the ability for a lone base unit to keep using it's stack address, but you are not running that level of code.

Offline flames1000

• Rookie
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »
thanks. Maybe I should leave one attached for the interim so it still thinks its a base then?

Offline telecom116

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »
There is a "stack forced-mode" command which makes the switches retain their stack IP parameters, but your code is so old it may not have it.

Whenever I reconstitue a stack I back it up as a ASCII file, wipe the remaining switch back to defaults and rebuild.