• September 28, 2020, 04:07:00 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nortel ESU 1800 Password recovery help  (Read 2948 times)

Offline mdpeelNWR

• Rookie
Nortel ESU 1800 Password recovery help
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:29:32 PM »
I am in need of some help with resetting the password on the Ethernet Services Unit 1800-24 switches that my company has. The passwords were once known but the user that knew the passwords is no longer available, and there is no documentation on what the passwords are. So now since the passwords are unknown we are unable to get into them.

Any help to get the passwords on these units reset would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: Nortel ESU 1800 Password recovery help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:50:49 PM »
Can you use the old Java Device Manager to still manage the ESU 1800?  I don't have one myself to know if this will work, but if it lets you download an ASCII config for the unit you could edit it with the "new" passwords and re-upload the config back to the unit.

Offline mdpeelNWR

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »

Is going through the Java Device Manager the only way to reset the password on these units? I will have to see if I can track down this software.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:36:48 PM »
No, you typically can't reset the passwords in JDM, but it can allow you to pull the text config off a unit.  Then you can edit the config and re-upload it with new passwords.  You can do that with some switches anyway.  The ESU, no idea.

Another option is to see if you reboot the unit, can you break in to the boot menu?  Some switches you can, some you can't.  Avaya doesn't own those switches.  They probably went to Ciena, so maybe try them for support?

You can get the JDM software for free from Avaya.  It says it supports the ESU 1800.

https://support.avaya.com/downloads/download-details.action?contentId=C2011561142362230_1&productId=P0910