• May 23, 2018, 02:48:57 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nortel ERS 5520-48T-PWR Replacement Fans  (Read 2931 times)

Offline meech18

• Rookie
Nortel ERS 5520-48T-PWR Replacement Fans
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:22:10 AM »
Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone knows if the fans in these switches can be replaced? If so any ideas where I can buy some new ones? I have 4 of these switches and have several fan failures across them. Trying to decide whether its worth replacing some fans(if possible) and keeping them for a bit longer or going to the boss for some money to upgrade the whole lot. Not a great time to be asking for money is all and we have a couple of 5510-24T in the core which seem to be doing just fine. Perhaps the POE demand puts a higher heat load on the fans?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: Nortel ERS 5520-48T-PWR Replacement Fans
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »
If the switches are originally purchased by your company then they would still be covered under Avaya's lifetime warranty program and can be returned for replacement.  I can't say I have opened a 5500 up to see the fans and how they are installed. 

But as long as you know what you are doing I am sure they could be replaced.  You need an electronics supplier for those pieces.  I use Digi-Key ( www.digikey.com ) to find weird fans for routers (old Contivity units) and other equipment.

Offline meech18

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »
Thanks for the link! :) The switches were purchased through a vendor which has since closed down so its turning out to be a real headache trying to get these switches registered under our Sold-To. Took the switch apart last night and the fans seem easy enough to replace especially for about AU$20 each! Attached photo for anyone who needs this info in future. Part number for the Delta Electronics fan is EFB0412VHD.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:36:52 PM by meech18 »

Offline CptnBlues63

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
I wish I'd been around here more the last two months but I've been busy.  I could have answered this in a second and provided the appropriate replacement fan number as I've replaced over 20 fans in the last two years or so. 

We have quite a few 5500's in production and won't be getting rid of them any time soon.  It's much simpler and less time consuming for me to replace them than to attempt to have it done under warranty.

The replacement fans we bought do not come with the plug end so you'll need some small shrink tubing, a soldering iron and solder to do the replacement. 

Offline meech18

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 03:32:55 AM »
So it turns out that the replacement fans don't have the blue wire which i assume is an earth or something and is not required? Apart from that I have also discovered that soldering of the crimp pins is not required as they are crimped using a Terminal Crimper onto the wiring and then inserted into the housing connector. I will install one fan first to make sure all goes well before doing the rest.

Offline meech18

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »
Just to close off this post, three fans successfully replaced. If anyone needs more info just let me know, I can post part numbers of all the parts and tools required including images.

Offline AVAGO

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 02:47:20 AM »
I Know its been closed but I have a document I did for India Engineers on fan Replacement, I I used Digi-Key ( www.digikey.com ) to get the replacement fans. I have tried to post it but it come back with
413 Request Entity Too Large- This is due to the images I have in the document
but if anyone wants a copy, let me know

Offline Radio_Head

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »
Hi Eric
    I tried to reply to you but it's not working, if you still require a copy of the fan replacement that I did PM me again :)