• January 26, 2021, 06:56:58 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nortel BES1010 Switches  (Read 7255 times)

Offline zebo

• Rookie
Nortel BES1010 Switches
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:41:41 PM »
I have searched, read the admin guide etc and no luck finding help I need.  I did contact Avaya support and they don't support these switches, they just sent me a replacement.  I posted in the Avaya forums too and over 1000 views and no replies :(.

So I found this forum and hopefully someone can help.

I have a cisco background and this was my first time dealing with a Nortel switch.  These only have a web interface, no telnet.  I was clicking around and from what I can tell changed the management vlan from 1 to another one created on this switch.  So now management wise I can't access the switch, but everything plugged in to it is still up and fine.  There is no save commands or apply, all buttons just say submit even for things you want to view like a port configuration.  So I thought I was going to view the mangement vlan clicked submit and well that was it.

They have a console port on the front.  Typical 9600/8/n/1 configuration.  I used a db9 straight through cable which the admin guide states.  All I get is a blank screen with a cursor.  Working with a test switch even when it is powering on/booting nothing shows in the terminal window. 

I tried using the Nortel BES Element Manager.  It sees the other switches on our network but not this one.  It scans an IP range though, so I don't think that app is going to work.

Anyone have any ideas?  It is a production switch and I haven't tried rebooting but I'm guessing the config is saved so that won't revert it. 

The thing is the vlan I changed it to isn't even used anymore, so I don't think there were even any ports configured for it.

Thanks

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
Re: Nortel BES1010 Switches
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum
From the BES 1000 manual the console settings are as follows.

9600 baud with eight data bits
one stop bit
no parity as the communications format
flow control set to disabled

I have always had sucess with TeraTerm and Putty's default settings.

One problem you will run into, is that once you console into the switch you need to hit CRTL +Y to access the CLI.
ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8

Offline zebo

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:40:59 AM »
No luck on the CRTL Y.  We have 7 or 8 of these switches and I tried it on all of them.  Even the replacement that Avaya sent me.  I tried using a blue cisco console cable too with a RJ45 - DB9 connector on the end.

Without the connector but same settings I hooked up to a cisco and HP device and got CLI prompts right away.

Have you actually done this with the BES1010 switches or this works for you with other series?  The thing is nothing is documented very well.  I read through the manual and it just states using the correct settings, you should get a menu in the CLI. 

I even tried a cable I used to hook up to Shortel IP phone SG90 devices which are CLI menu driven.

Any other ideas?

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
when you reboot the switch do you seen any CLI messages?
ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8

Offline Flintstone

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
Hi Zebo,

Try two Cisco console cables with a RJ45 balun connecting them together.  That worked for me?

CheerZ

Offline zebo

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »
when you reboot the switch do you seen any CLI messages?

Nothing as I mentioned in my OP ;)

Hi Zebo,

Try two Cisco console cables with a RJ45 balun connecting them together.  That worked for me?

CheerZ

I will give that a try once I can locate an RJ45 coupler.

Thanks

Offline zebo

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »
Well nothing seems to work.  Anyone have any other ideas on how I might access this switch without having to do a factory reset on it?

Thanks

Offline zebo

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure I know the snmp write string, could I use that somehow?

Offline zebo

• Rookie
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »
Hi Zebo,

CheerZ

This ended up working, thanks.

Now still the bad part.  From the limited console menu I don't see anyway to change the default vlan or ports etc.  Basically it looks like all that can be done is set the device IP and/or how it boots. 

You can download/upload the config file and images, but it uses a tftp server and since it can't be seen IP wise that won't work. 

So if the default vlan was changed to a vlan on this switch with no ports assigned to it and no ports are in a trunk mode carrying the vlans, any ideas?

Thanks

Offline trieudoahong

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 04:02:06 AM »
Those switches are quite old and only support egress vlan tagging. Except mgmt IP, the console seem to be useless and no CLI supported. You should set native (pvid) vlan to the mgmt vlan and do a little trick with it's web. Create the mgmt vlan, allow egress tagging on trunk port and add trunk port to that vlan.

If you've lost the IP connection to the switch, either reset it to factory or you must change your L3 configuration to match the settings on switch to be able to gain access to it again.

Offline zebo

• Rookie
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:47:56 AM »
I just ended up replacing the switch.  I basically mapped out/traced each cable to its end device and figured out that way how the port needed to be configured.  I configured the replacement I was sent and then just moved one cable at a time making sure nothing broke.  It actually went pretty smooth and only dropped a few pings on a couple devices. 

We will most likely be swapping these out with Cisco switches in the near future.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.