• December 02, 2020, 01:54:41 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nortel BayStack 5510-48t  (Read 3455 times)

Offline JakeSherlock

• Rookie
Nortel BayStack 5510-48t
« on: December 28, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
Bought myself a Nortel BayStack 5510-48t for $75. Figured I would try experimenting and start learning about Fiber.

- Can a GBIC connection on the Bay be connected to another device other then another Bay?  ???

I'd like to connect this switch to my server via fiber. The following is in place.

- HP ProLiant DL360 G5 (Windows Server 2008 R2)
     Installed is a EMC LPe1150-E 4Gb PCIe Fibre Channel Adapter
- I have a 15m Multi-Mode cable.
- Nortel BayStack 5510-48t (Of course).
- 2x EMC2 DS-4400m switches.
- Transceivers are Intel TXN31115D100000 (850nm)

The will nots:
The BayStack will not connect to the EMC2 switches.
The BayStack will not connect to the EMC Fibre Channel Adapter (BayStack 'In Use' light lit with no action).

The wills:
The BayStack will connect to it's self (1 GBIC to 2 GBIC).
The EMC Fibre Channel Adapter will connect to the EMC2 switches.

Am I just dumb to think that devices of other name brands will connect?? Is the BayStack GBIC designed specifically for stacking?? Maybe I just need to get into the console and setup the BayStack to play nice??

Help me understand, please.

-Jake

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: Nortel BayStack 5510-48t
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 02:30:36 PM »
The 5510 switch SFP ports should connect to anything that is using a compatable optic and follows the correct protocols.  Try changing the flow contol settings maybe?  Between 470 switches and 5500's there is a known issue because the older 470 doesn't follow the same standards.  Maybe the same issue?  There are stacking ports in the back of the unit are for stacking.  The SFP ports should work just fine.  I don't play with EMC gear, so I can't help you there.  Are they fibre channel switches or Ethernet ( FCoE )?

Offline Johan Witters

• BKM Networks
Re: Nortel BayStack 5510-48t
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:33:49 AM »
All your hardware needs to be ethernet, not Fibre Channel.

Linking a Ethernet optical module from eg. Nortel to a Fibre channel module in the server or SAN will not work, even with the right cabling and optical module wavelenght (850nm).

You can:
1) link your server with the fiber channel interface to the EMC switches
2) link your server to the Baystack over UTP if a copper nic is installed in the server

You'll have to change the modules in your server if you want to link it with fiber to your baystack.
Kind regards,

Johan Witters

Network Engineer
BKM NV