• September 19, 2020, 08:49:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nortel Baystack 470 Switch - question  (Read 4244 times)

Offline charlesbertrand

• Rookie
Nortel Baystack 470 Switch - question
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:28:19 AM »
I recently ended up with 2 stacks of the Nortel Baystack 470 switches in one of my company's international location. The site recently upgrades to a higher bandwidth, but anything connected to the switch is limited to a 10M connection. After checking all the ports, there are two that are listed simply and "Switch" and "Stack" that are set at 10/Half. Since this is the only setting that is not at 100/Full, I am thinking that this is the culprit to the site's bandwidth issue.

I have tried to change the setting to 100/Full using both the telnet client and the web interface. However, even after making the change, these two ports (for lack of a better name) default back to 10/Half. My next thought was to use the CLI, but these ports are not showing up under the interface listing. This is making me think that these two ports may be the the cascade connections.

Ok, now after all the rambling, here are the questions.

1) Are these "ports" able to be manually configured?
2) If so, where and with what would be the commands?

I have very little experience with Nortel, coming from a Cisco environment, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Dominik

• Global Moderator
    • Networkautobahn
Re: Nortel Baystack 470 Switch - question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
Hi charlesbertrand and welcome to the forum,

can you provide the command:
sho interfaces all

The stacking connection is not listed in the "normal" interface list.
I suggest you would like to enable autonegaotiation on the ports that only run with 10Mbit.
You can do that with these commands:
interface FastEthernet all
speed port <port index> auto
duplex port <port index> auto

Good Luck

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:45:41 PM by Dominik »
Itīs always the networks fault!
networkautobahn.com

Offline TankII

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
config t
int faste all
auto-negotiation-advertisements 10-half 100-full
speed auto
duplex auto

Enjoy!

TankII

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:50:14 PM »
If they are 470's then using the Nortel Java Device Manager would have been the preferred way to configure these switches.  You can download the JDM program below.

http://support.avaya.com/downloads/download-details.action?contentId=C2011561142362230_1&productId=P0910

Offline charlesbertrand

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. However, I think I may not have explained myself correctly. I attached a screen shot showing the two items in question.

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 09:59:06 PM »
I have seen that before. I have always just ignored it because any attempt to perform a global change using those two fields did nothing.  And to the best of my knowledge those aren't the settings for the stacking ports. You can't change the parameters of those ports.

all that maters is that the specific port is set to auto-negotiation.  As you can see in your screen shot you have clients connecting at 100/full.  can't beat that on a 470.

just for argument sake, what version are you running on your 470? 

ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
The switch and stack "ports" are just to adjust the Ethernet port options on either that switch or the entire stack all at once.  It has nothing to do with the cascade cables that link the stack in the back.  The best you can get with the copper ports is 10/100Mb and it has two gigabit GBIC ports for uplinks to a core unit.  Typically unless you need to force a specific port and speed, keep the ports on auto-negotiate.  I would still recommend getting the JDM program to manage the switch.

Offline charlesbertrand

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »
THanks everyone for the information!