• August 17, 2018, 05:08:31 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nortel 5520-48T - help to access or reset  (Read 183 times)

Offline nitin

• Rookie
Nortel 5520-48T - help to access or reset
« on: May 27, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »
Hello
I need some help in repairing a nortel 5520-48t(which was working fine earlier).
While working it hung - so after reset(power yanking) it kept on blinking the lights in the sfp ports.(it means image corrupt?)

After opening the switch (and trying combination of bank1 bank2 on the motherboard), the switch is switched on but all ethernet leds are solid green.

Is there a known way to recover this? From memory, i had seen that the second bank was empty (after I had flashed it to FW6+ last year).

From all angles, it looks like it has some serious firmware/software issue. But lack of documentation on the motherboard is stopping me to diagnose. I also cannot get any serial connection - so I dont know what is going on. I can see that some ebay seller are selling this switch in this condition - calling it fully functional. Since they handle it everyday - they must be knowing some way to recover.

here is the example how it looks like after it boots(I dont know if it has booted or not becasue I cannot get the serial connection - even after the correct cable - straight thru)

Thank you
Nitin
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:00:40 AM by nitin »

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: Nortel 5520-48T - help to access or reset
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 01:07:10 PM »
If the serial port isn't giving any output, I don't know of anyway to recover the switch.  If the serial port was working you could break in to the boot menus and try to reload the OS that way.  If the unit won't boot and can't display any serial information it sounds like the end of the line for that unit.

Offline nitin

• Rookie
Re: Nortel 5520-48T - help to access or reset
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 02:14:11 PM »
As an update - I was able to recover the switch.
The cable was wrong!.

In short - these swicthes are rock solid - they just dont die.