• September 21, 2020, 08:03:12 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nortel 5510-48T - Can't erase flash  (Read 3836 times)

Offline duttch

• Rookie
Nortel 5510-48T - Can't erase flash
« on: July 13, 2013, 02:07:48 PM »
I have a Nortel ERS 5510-48T.  The ERS was on firmware v1.x and software v4.x

I successfully updated the firmware to v5.0.0.4 (now running fw v5.0 and sw v4.x)

Next I successfully updated the software to v5.0.6.26 (now running fw v5.0 and sw v5.0)

Then a successful update of the software to v5.1.0.14 (now running fw v5.0 and sw v5.1)

Then a successful update of the firmware to v6.0.0.6 (now running fw v6.0 and sw v5.1)

Then I tried a software update to v6.0.0.4 .  This update cased an issue with all kinds of things (now NOT running fw v6.0 and sw v6.0).  I was able to revert back to the old software (now running fw v6.0 and sw v5.1).  Then I read that you should update to software to v6.0 while the firmware is still on v5.x.

I successfully downgraded the firmware to v5.0.0.4 (now running fw v5.0), however i had lost the software (agent).

Now when I try to load the software (agent) through a telnet (option"d"), it finds my TFTP server and the software. I start the process (doesn't matter if I try to load software versions 4.x or 5.x or 6.x) and the process comes to "Program" and I say "y", it starts to erase the flash.

After a few seconds the process aborts and returns the msg:

## Can't erase flash

and returns to the command menu (after pressing enter). Additionally choosing "i" (easing all flash) results also in the same msg for both erases (firmware and software).

Any advice in how to reload the agent would be appriciated.

Thanks

Offline duttch

• Rookie
Re: Nortel 5510-48T - Can't erase flash
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »
Update:

In the control console:

Press 'a' to run Agent code
Press 'd' to run Download agent code
Press 'e' to display Errors
Press 'i' to Initiate config/log config control in Both flash
Press 'p' to run Post tests
Press 's' to run Stack external loopback test..

I pressed CTRL-D and a password request came up:

Enter Password:

I've tried:

secure
Secure
user
User
securepasswd
Private
private
Public
public
PlsChgMe!

None seem to be valid,  does know what the correct password is (or any other key combo's that unlock the flash).

Thanks

Offline Johan Witters

• BKM Networks
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 02:43:57 AM »
It looks like somethings wrong with the unit. If you have a valid support contract you could open a support request through Avaya support. Otherwise I would check the mfg date to see if it is produced after 2009, and ask for a lifetime warranty replacement through your vendor.
Kind regards,

Johan Witters

Network Engineer
BKM NV

Offline duttch

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »
Hi Johan, Thanks for the reply.

It's an older unit purchased through ebay, so I don't think there's any warranty on it any more.

Offline Johan Witters

• BKM Networks
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »
In that case I'm afraid you're stuck with the box

Lifetime warrantly is only valid for the original end user purchasing the switch, so I'm afraid that will not be possible because you bought it through the internet and won't be able to supply the original invoice for the unit..

Kind regards,

Johan Witters

Network Engineer
BKM NV

Offline duttch

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:53:15 AM »
Hate to be stuck with the box (I knew about the warranty limitations).

Because I can get into the console, its not totally bricked.

I was hoping that someone might have the password to what I would believe is the root or service are of the command console to reset the software or perform a forced loading of it.

On opening it I also saw a specific flash jumper on the motherboard.  It's a 3 pin jumper setting.

Flash Jumper

Open : U6
1+2 : U5
2+3 : U7

Does anyone have the spec's on these jumpers ?

Thanks

Offline Johan Witters

• BKM Networks
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »
I've never opened one up, so I'm afraid I can't help you with this..

For the password goes the same, I think this is something Avaya support needs to generate as it is related to the serial number or base mac address.
Kind regards,

Johan Witters

Network Engineer
BKM NV

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 12:47:22 PM »
I would get back in to the POST menu and do an (i)nitialize the flash which should blow away any corrupted config and try to boot it up again.  Make sure your upgrade files are not corrupted themselves by comparing them to their MD5 values.  From v5.1 software you should be able to go to v6.0 code.  But yeah, if your flash memory is toast, so is the switch.