• October 24, 2020, 02:19:31 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Nortel 470-24t issues reviving stack cluster bleep  (Read 1639 times)

Offline bhusebye

• Rookie
Nortel 470-24t issues reviving stack cluster bleep
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »
I walked into a break/fix scenario the other night with limited window to work and my help desk was busy. Now my dispatch was asap, which told me upon arrival after looking at the wreckage one switch failed, the base switch and the site had already manually downed the whole stack (this doesn't usuallty happen and an ugly surprise awaits).  I brought a switch which had the proper code levels for replacement.  I replace the switch, power it on with the proper ip, subnet mask and gateway.  Telling the help desk to push the config.  Then the fun starts, help desk tells me it sees my third switch in the stack has no uplink in its stack of three.  I Start troubleshooting.  Tested the gbic the first night, it's not that.  So maybe a fiber, now I know the reason for the asap dispatch and there's a gbic sitting on the old switch.  Lucky me someone tried fixing this before and failed.  Second night help desk pulls the stack up in device mangler and everyone was telling me that morning I cabled it wrong, no I didn't but I will check again.  The three are cabled opposite a 5510.  Only its been told to me someone put another switch in a stack of two.  I am guessing on who but let's ignore that, I look at the configs I saved before going out, Dec 2013 in properties and no one has saved one since.  The helpdesk sees the stack as 1, 3, 2.  The MLT shows  1/25 of course and 2/26 instead of 3/26.  Everytime the stack is renumbered and 3/26 is turned up it kicks the stack offline.

My question is, if the 2/26 MLT is deleted and the config saved, then stack renumbered then the MLT rebuilt would this clear the issue, or is the best plan to default the stack and shove a newly hand built config in? While thinking of a plan of attack the second night I was going to drop the ascii config into stack because I could clearly see the MLT built correctly, went to upload and instant CRC error which I recreated today on a fresh stack so the ascii is corrupted.  I am not going back out on site until the config is rebuilt by hand just in case of any more issues.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:41:02 PM by bhusebye »

Offline bhusebye

• Rookie
Re: Nortel 470-24t issues reviving stack cluster bleep
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »
Thinking about this on the way into work, I am guessing there is a bad cascade between switch one and switch two or a bad cascade port on switch 2.  Next window will tell me resolution.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Nortel 470-24t issues reviving stack cluster bleep
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story... renumbering can be a challenge, especially if uplinks/downlinks are involved.

You need to carefully check your configuration and make sure that 3/26 is configured properly. I'm going to guess that it's not and that's why you're loosing the stack... it could be that you have Spanning Tree enabled somewhere and your not just waiting out the learning phase. It could be that you have you don't have the same number of VLANs on both sides of the trunk.. many issues why.

Let us know how you make you.

Cheers!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!