• September 18, 2020, 10:38:09 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Non-LACP bonding on 5510?  (Read 1817 times)

Offline spatil

• Rookie
Non-LACP bonding on 5510?
« on: December 06, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »
I have a server with two gigabit ports, and I'd like to bond them to get a ~2Gbps interface.

In the HP ProCurve I use for another project, I found an option to bond ports without using LACP. My understanding is that LACP is for increasing the number of maxed-bandwidth connections to a machine, while non-LACP trunking would allow me to create a single interface with approximately double the bandwidth of the two bonded interfaces.

I can't find any options on the 5510 to bond the interfaces without using LACP. I don't think MLT is what I need to use, but I could be wrong.

I'm very new to this switch, and to networking in general, so I'm not sure what I'm doing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline TankII

Re: Non-LACP bonding on 5510?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »
MLT is what you want to use.  It is the equivalent to a static Gigabit EtherChannel trunk in the Cisco world.
The only stipulation is all the ports must be the same speed.

TankII

Offline spatil

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »
Thanks! I will try it out soon.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:30:51 PM »
"a single interface with approximately double the bandwidth of the two bonded interfaces"

This isn't technically correct... whether it's static or LACP the distribution of frames will only allow a single conversation between two IP endpoints to utilize a single path even though there are two paths available. You would need to use ECMP to load balance every other packet between both available paths.

Cheers!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!