• October 31, 2020, 03:47:56 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: New ERS 4000 Software v5.7  (Read 6644 times)

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
New ERS 4000 Software v5.7
« on: November 21, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »
There is new software in the air for the ERS 4000 switches.  Code v5.7 has release notes available now and it looks like a nice update.  I am loving the ability to finally set the timeout value of the EDM interface.  It was about damn time.  Lots of fixes, lots of new features packed in to this one.  I don't see the software available on the web site yet, but that should show up after a day or two.

Readme is below:
https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100176630

Offline Dominik

• Global Moderator
    • Networkautobahn
Re: New ERS 4000 Software v5.7
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:54:14 AM »
That is what I call an Update. The Avaya developpers had really put a lot of new features in this realese.

Besides the EDM advantages I also find very interesting:

Link-state tracking
Link-state tracking (LST) binds the link state of multiple interfaces. The Link-state tracking
feature identifies the upstream and downstream interfaces. Interfaces connected to servers
are referred to as downstream interfaces, and interfaces connected to distribution switches
and network devices are referred to as upstream interfaces. In a link-state group, these
interfaces are bundled together and the downstream interfaces are bound to the upstream
interfaces.
For example, in an application, link-state tracking can provide redundancy in the network with
two separate switches or stacks when used with server NIC adapter teaming. If interface 1
goes down on either switch, the server continues to send traffic through interface 2 and the
traffic is dropped. If interfaces 1 and 2 are coupled in a link-state group (as upstream and
downstream ports respectively), when interface 1 is unavailable, interface 2 is disabled
prompting the server to choose the other path as target.

Remote Switch Port ANalyzer
Remote Switch Port ANalyzer (RSPAN), also known as Remote Port Mirroring, enhances port
mirroring by enabling mirroring traffic to be sent to one or more switches or stacks on the
network using an intermediate VLAN for forwarding the mirrored traffic.

show ip netstat
The show ip netstat command displays the IPv4 socket information.

SPBM
Shortest Path Bridging MAC (SPBM) is a next generation virtualization technology that
revolutionizes the design, deployment and operations of Ethernet networks. SPBM enables
massive scalability while simultaneously reducing the complexity of the network.
Avaya networking products allow virtualization services at both layer 2 and layer 3, referred to
as L2VSN and L3VSN. The Avaya Ethernet Switch 4800 is capable of providing L2VSN support
connecting traditional Ethernet networks to an SPBM enabled network core, the ERS 4800
functions as a Backbone Edge Bridge. The 5.7 release introduces L2VSN capabilities to the
ERS 4800 product, whereas SPBM support is exclusive to the ERS 4800 and stacks of ERS
4800. The L3 (e.g. OSPF) features of the ERS 4800 cannot be supported simultaneously with
SPBM, they are mutually exclusive.
Avaya ERS 4800 Series supports the IEEE 802.1aq standard of SPBM, which allows for larger
Layer 2 topologies and permits faster convergence.

Now they support SPB with the "normal" ERS4k software. Wondering if you have to purchase for that an extra license, like in the VSP4k license ?

I checked the Avaya Support Page, 5.7 is not listed on the download page, so I suggest we have to wait a few more days to play with 5.7
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:56:44 AM by Dominik »
Itīs always the networks fault!
networkautobahn.com

Offline MatzeKS

• matzeks
    • Controlware GmbH - Germany
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 03:29:12 AM »
v5.7 will be released/available on next Monday (Nov 25th) ;D
------------------------------------------------------
ACE-Fx #00050

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »
when I was speaking with avaya they explained it to me that SPB L2 only will be a base feature in ERS4800s.  However, your 4800 will need to be HW v10 or higher.

if you want to do SPB L3/VSN features you will need to upgrade to a VSP4000 with a licenses kit

ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
I'm still beta testing 5.6.4 software which resolves a number of SNMP bugs.
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline telecom116

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
I'm still beta testing 5.6.4 software which resolves a number of SNMP bugs.
Any idea when this version will be out?  I sent my SE an email bemoaning the lack of updates and having this issue but have not received a response.  Worried 5.7.0 code will not have the needed fixes - much as the issues with ERS5000 code upgrades.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
The more new features a release bring with it, the more patch versions it takes before it is production ready I find.

Offline sgeen

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »
Just got 5.6.3 going! 5.7 Still not posted yet but as soon as it is I'm going to give it a whirl :)

Offline MatzeKS

• matzeks
    • Controlware GmbH - Germany
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 02:46:59 AM »
5.7 is out ==> http://is.gd/wpS6HE
------------------------------------------------------
ACE-Fx #00050