• September 18, 2020, 12:42:17 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Multi-link trunk on 5520  (Read 3679 times)

Offline JaySmith

Multi-link trunk on 5520
« on: June 14, 2014, 08:25:26 AM »
Using the new ERS, I'm not sure how to set up multi-link trunks like I did in the old web console. When I select 4 ports and hit edit, I can change actorSsytemPriority, AdminEnable, ActorAdminState, ActorPortPriority, ActorAdminKey. The best I can tell it's in ActorAdminState, where my options are lacpActive, aggregation, shortTimeout. I want to use LACP Link Aggregation in windows server 2012. It seems like the ports are just toggled on/off for LAGs, instead of grouping them together like I did before. Is this correct?

Offline CptnBlues63

Re: Multi-link trunk on 5520
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »
Knowing what version software you're running would be helpful.  Since you say "new ERS" I'm guessing we're talking about the EDM (Enterprise Device Manager) web interface.  If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me and include the SW/FW version you're running.

Based on my assumption above, you connect to EDM and on the left hand side menu expand VLAN.  Under VLAN, click on MLT/LACP  Once that window opens, click on the Multilink Trunks tab.  This is where you define your MLT.  Name it, choose the ports and then MLT type (most likely you'll be using "Normal"). 

Don't forget to enable the MLT.

Offline JaySmith

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:45:12 PM »
Yes, i meant EDM, sorry. Thank you for the info, soon as I can get back to the switches I'll check that out.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:50:28 AM »
In a previous note you said you were running v6.3.3 on your switch stack I believe.  Now, there are two way to aggregate Ethernet links.  Most vendors support LACP to connect between dissimilar manufacturers gear.  But Avaya to Avaya is made for MLT which is also Cisco EtherChannel compatible.

1) MLT
- Open the VLAN tab in EDM
- Select the MLT/LACP menu and then the Multilink Trunks tab.
- Add the ports you want to be trunked together by double-clicking the PortMembers tab.
- As long as all the ports are configured to the same speed (not the same media though), tagged port state and VLAN's, they should be added.  Then enable the MLT.  Done.

2) LACP
- This is done at the port level.  Open all the ports to be in the LACP LAG group and go to the LACP tab.
- Ports are tied together by having the same ActorAdminKey value.  So all ports having a key value of say 178 are all in the same group.  So set a common key value between all the ports you want LAG'ed.
- Enable the Active and Aggregation check boxes.  Unless your sure you need it, don't use shortTimeout.  Hit Apply at this point to save the values you put in.
- Last is to click enable and then apply.  Assuming all your ports are once again the same speed (not the same media), tagging state and VLAN's the LACP LAG should enable.  You can then refresh to see the LACP state.  If you see it reporting "lacpActivity,aggregation,synchronization,collecting,distributing" then they are working and sending and receiving LACP packets correctly.
- The LACP group is then assigned an MLT number and will show up in the MLT table if you check.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!