• November 29, 2020, 06:07:16 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Motorola wireless ap's not adapting over Avaya VSP7000  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Johan Witters

• BKM Networks
Motorola wireless ap's not adapting over Avaya VSP7000
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
Hello Guys,

I don't know if this is something for the Avaya forum or the Motorola forum, but I have another head-breaker..

A client of mine is currently deploying new access points and controllers based on WiNG 5.4.3. They want to deploy them in a layer2 configuration, so without ip addressing. The controller is only able to see a few ap's, those directly connected to the same stack as the wireless controller.

The controller has Ge1 configured for management access and access to wan/lan, and has Ge2 configured and linked to a separate vlan for the ap's. All configuration seems to be correct, the customer verified these settings with a different site also running Motorola wireless, but still on 5.4.1

We checked all the switch configs, they all seem correct. We tried by connecting all vlans on Ge1 on the controller, but this didn't help

We tested with a layer3 configuration, this works.. We tested with an access point connected to a spare switch which was directly connected to the stack with the controller, this works..

If I sniff on the controller port I can see packets going between the ap and the controller with Ethertype 0x8783 which should be ok, but I can't decrypt the payload to see what is being exchanged.

The only thing we have been able to figure out at the moment is that all access points that need to physically pass the VPS7000 cluster in the core of the network are affected and are unable to connect to the wireless controller at L2. Mac-tables are correctly populated with ap mac's at all locations, simply configuring the ap for layer 3 will make it possible to come online..

The VSP is configured with SMLT, VRRP and does igmp filtering in a separate security-cam vlan.

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing the problem?
Kind regards,

Johan Witters

Network Engineer
BKM NV

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Motorola wireless ap's not adapting over Avaya VSP7000
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »
That's an interesting problem Johan... 

In the past I've seen the firewall built into the Motorola RFS7000 balk at the VRRP packets.

You should be able to decode the initial CAPWAP (WISPe) connections unless something has changed.
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!