• September 19, 2020, 03:06:48 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Max Number if Links in an IST on 8600s?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Bez

Max Number if Links in an IST on 8600s?
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that the max number of links in an IST between 2 ERS8600s is 8 (the same as in a regular MLT)

I already have 4 copper gig links between my switches, but the server guys are looking at going 10 gig in the server room, so I wanted to be sure that I can up the bandwidth across the IST so that it won't become a new bottleneck

Cheers

Offline TankII

Re: Max Number if Links in an IST on 8600s?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
Yes, it's 8, same as any MLT.  However, the odds of having traffic problems across the IST are miniscule.  We ran a fully loaded 8600 chassis with 30 port blades running iSCSI and other traffic, and the 2 GB IST never went over 4% as all the traffic was routed to external users from the Data Center chassis.  Even now, at my new company,  The 8600's 2GB IST is handling 30+ 1 GIG connections with 10 GIG to the Data Center Brocade ring on one side and 1 GIG on the other - with about 2% utilization.  It really depends on the traffic patterns.  Very little traffic will cross the IST UNLESS there are no routes out of one of the boxes.

TankII

Offline Bez

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:00:51 AM »
Cool, thanks for that...

We have a large number of SMLTs to the stacks where the servers sit and the traffic paths to the backup devices aren't the best so we do see significant traffic on the IST at times.

Offline Dominik

• Global Moderator
    • Networkautobahn
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 01:48:04 AM »
Hi Bez,

if you have not connected some devices direct to on of your ERS8k switchcluster devices, you should see
as @Tankll mentioned a very low link utilization on your IST.

When you have connected all Access switches via SMLT there is no need to send traffic over the IST.
If you have see here a lot of traffic it is mostly in fact a destination is only accessable from one of your ERS8k, like e.g. a FW that has only one active interface.

To upgrade you IST to 8 Links will bring you the biggest benefit when you have a failure that cause that are devices only acessable over one of your ERS8k.

Good Luck
Itīs always the networks fault!
networkautobahn.com