• November 27, 2020, 06:57:27 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Interoperability between ERS 5520 switch cluster and Cisco 2811  (Read 3549 times)

Offline asyed

• Rookie
Please need help in understanding how to get a ERS-5520 switch cluster talk to Cisco 2811 router. The router has 2 routing interfaces (one goes out to the internet and the other connects to the rest of the networks). The router also has 4 switch interfaces which I would like to configure so that they can communicate with the Avaya ERS 5520 switch cluster. And I would also like to configure the ERS 5520 switch cluster with a default route pointing to the Cisco router.
All your help id greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Alamdar

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: Interoperability between ERS 5520 switch cluster and Cisco 2811
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
You could use static routing to do everything you want, but I always prefer using a dynamic routing protocol.  Even RIP-2 works just fine for smaller networks and saves you the hassle of updating your routing tables ever time you change something.  I think people totally underestimate RIP-2.  Very simple to implement and saves so much work.  I would recommend using the latest v6.3 code if you can on the 5520's.

In order to have a fully redundant system, can you configure an Etherchannel link from the Cisco to the 5520's?  One link to each unit.  Then you configure the SMLT links on the two 5520's and now either one can go down and not be worried about it.  Avaya's MLT tech and Cisco's Ethernchannel are compatible with each other.

For routing, you just turn the routing engine on, create a VLAN and assign an IP address to that VLAN.  And voila, you have routing.  Create a few more VLAN's with IP's and you can start routing between them.  Just have the Cisco broadcast the default route with RIP or OSPF and the 5520's will learn it.  Don't forget to turn on DHCP relay to forward DHCP packets to the router (or whatever is serving DHCP addresses) from the routed VLAN's.

Anything else you were looking for?

Offline asyed

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 04:15:54 PM »
Hello Telair,

Thank you for the response. The Cisco is managed by the customer and they want to use static routing. As you have mentioned I do plan to program SMLT links on the ERS 5520's and EtherChannel on the Cisco.

For routing as you mentioned I can enable routing on the ERS 5520's and create a separate VLAN-20 (172.16.20.2) and assign the SMLT port to it with tagging enabled. On the Cisco end I create the same VLAN and give it an IP-address (172.16.20.1). Then can I just program a default route on the ERS 5520's pointing to 172.16.20.1 ?

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »
Ah, OK.  I think I see what your doing.  In that case you don't need to enable routing on the 5520's if you want the Cisco to do the routing for you. 

1) Just create VLAN 20 on the Cisco 2811 and add the IP address to the VLAN on the Cisco.  Then tag VLAN 20 to the 5520's via the Etherchannel link.

2) On the 5520's you want to create VLAN 20 and tag it on the SMLT ports that the Etherchannel ports connect to, but not give VLAN 20 an IP on the switches.  This will keep the switches from routing and they will happily run at layer 2 and not layer 3 routing.  Then just add VLAN 20 to any other ports you want on the switches.  Don't forget as a switch cluster to tag VLAN 20 over the IST links so they can keep track of each other.

Offline asyed

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
Thank you for the reply. But that is a problem. I need to have IP routing enabled on the ERS 5520's as they are routing for the other VLANs in the Closet-1 and CLoset-2 and we are also running VRRP with Master/backup on the ERS-5520's. This can be seen in the logical network diagram I had included in the attachment.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 05:16:56 PM »
Sorry, I missed the diagram you had included.  Now let me take a look.  OK, that makes more sense.  So yes, you create VLAN 20 on the 5520's and give it an IP (in these cases I make the gateway (Cisco 2811) .1 and the other router (5520's) .10, but just my preference).  Then just put a 0.0.0.0/0 route on the 5520's pointing to the 2811 as the next hop.  That way any traffic sent to a non-local subnet on the 5520's will be forwarded to the Cisco to deal with.  Just make sure the Cisco has it's routes so it knows how to forward traffic back to the 5520's and you should be done with routing.  You will have to add NAT/Firewall rules to the 2811 for the subnets you want to talk out to the Internet as well.

Does that cover it?

Offline asyed

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »
Great! Thanks. I will find out on Monday if everything works accordingly or not.