• September 23, 2020, 12:07:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ICMP and 8600's  (Read 2335 times)

Offline 7rrivera7

ICMP and 8600's
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
I'm having an issue with a memory leak bug on my passport core routers running version 5.1.1.1 which has been addressed in version 7.1.5.0:

A buffer memory leak accompanied by ‘rcIpBootPReply failed to send broadcast DHCP response. No circuit for
src IP 0.0.0.0, VLAN 0, IFINDEX 641’ is seen [ wi00999447 / wi01023659 ]

While I plan the upgrade, Avaya suggests to monitor the buffers via the CLI command show sys perf and as the number nears 100, reset the router.

In the meantime, I have dedicated a monitor in my NOC with ICMP requests (PINGs) running against the VIP and physical IPs of the 8600's but intermittantly, I am losing response. When the router stops responding to ICMP on the NOC desktop, I can run the same PING on my workstation and it responds while the PING at the NOC desktop does not. Eventually, the NOC dekstop shows the response packets again until the next occurance.

I've been taught that the ICMP protocol carries a very low priority within the router code and is the first type of packet that is discarded when the router is too busy so I'm assuming this is what's happening with the NOC desktop. However, I don't understand why another desktop or my workstation shows response.

Offline 7rrivera7

Re: ICMP and 8600's
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
33 reads and not 1 response. Anyone else notice this issue with ICMP?

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:04:15 PM »
I have seen where an old, underpowered end node is the one that is dropping the packets..Not the switch or router.

what is that device in your NOC doing? does it drop pings to other devices in your network?
ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8

Offline 7rrivera7

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
The NOC desktop has a modern CPU and a fair amount of memory. Right now I have 5 command prompts running continuous PINGs and it will only drop 1 or 2 PING windows temporarily and then return. During this time, other endpoints continue to PING the same resource and receive replies.