• November 27, 2020, 07:12:59 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: GRE tunnel between ERS 4850 and Cisco 3750 ?  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Gipper

GRE tunnel between ERS 4850 and Cisco 3750 ?
« on: January 19, 2014, 06:39:15 PM »
Hi All, it's very easy to setup a GRE tunnel between Cisco gear at each end as noted in this video > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWD8WSFBQLQ

Anyone know if this can be done between Cisco and Avaya?   I have a need to make a certain network look like it is local.  GRE tunnel has accomplished this for me in the past, but I cannot find any info on this for Avaya?

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
Re: GRE tunnel between ERS 4850 and Cisco 3750 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »
GRE is Cisco proprietary.

to the best of my knowledge you will be able to have a GRE tunnel traverse AVAYA gear but you will be unable to terminate a GRE tunnel on an Avaya device. Or any other vendor device for that matter.

ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: GRE tunnel between ERS 4850 and Cisco 3750 ?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »
While GRE was initially developed by Cisco I would argue the point that it's a Cisco proprietary protocol. There are plenty of solutions that can utilize a GRE tunnel... Avaya's Secure Router being just one of many products on the market.

Let's answer your question.

The Avaya ERS 4850 can't terminate a GRE tunnel. However, neither can the Cisco 3750 to my knowledge.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!