• June 22, 2018, 08:18:40 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Free upgrade to 7.1.3.0 from Avaya?  (Read 161 times)

Offline Canman

• Rookie
Free upgrade to 7.1.3.0 from Avaya?
« on: May 30, 2018, 02:33:09 PM »
Hi Mike

Quick question to you I see that Extreme/Avaya/Nortel has posted a end of life for ERS8600/8800 in leu of the newer VSP routers product lines.

From the Software Life cycle notification they say the following:

Migration Strategy
Avaya recommends that customers review the current software release version operating on the ERS8600/8800 switches in their network and make necessary plans to migrate to latest maintenance release of Software Release 7.2 to get the latest product defect fixes and continued bug-fix support till 13-Jun-2017.
With the introduction of our next generation Ethernet Switching Product lines including VSP8400, VSP8200, VSP7200 and VSP4000, Avaya is committed to meeting the Ethernet Switching and Routing requirements of our customers for Enterprise Campus, Branch and Data Center deployments. The VSP product line inherits the rich feature set that has been available on ERS 8800/8600 for several years now and also adds next generation Fabric based technologies to  better serve the target market deployments. The use of commercial silicon on the VSP product lines enables us to provide higher port density in Compact Form Factor switches at competitive pricing.

Can I now download the latest version of software 7.2.26.X and upgrade for free?

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: Free upgrade to 7.1.3.0 from Avaya?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »
As long as you have a support contract you can grab the software you are entitled to.  But besides user VPN clients, I have never known them to give away software for core routers, even old ones.  For free.

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
Re: Free upgrade to 7.1.3.0 from Avaya?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
you will need to reach out to a local Extreme Partner or Extreme Sales team to gain access to that software.

with that said, what ERS8600/8800 hardware and software are you running today?  I ask because when migrating from v4, v5 to v.7.X there are several caveats and hardware limitations. 

essentially you MUST have all R or RS or 8800 series I/O modules.  And only  with 8692 w/SuperMezz or 8895 switch fabrics are support in v7.

E and M and 8691s are not supported.

ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8