• October 31, 2020, 03:29:27 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ERS5632 trunk not working with cisco switch.  (Read 2973 times)

Offline sam4u

• Rookie
ERS5632 trunk not working with cisco switch.
« on: September 11, 2015, 02:24:27 AM »
Hello,

We have Avaya ERS5632 (Stack 2Pair) switches.

First switch vlan 300 port 1/31(trunk) tagging enable is connected on Cisco L3 switch( secondary Uplink)
Secondary switch vlan 300 port 2/31(trunk) tagging enable is connected on Juniper L3 switch(Primary Uplink)

VRRP is running between Cisco L3 switch and Juniper L3 switch.

when both the Avaya switch port 1/31,2/31 is up, VRRP status of Cisco L3 switch shows backup and Juniper L3 switch status show Master.

when i shut the primary uplink of Avaya switch port 2/31 of Juniper L3 switch, Cisco L3 switch VRRP status becomes Master but traffic doesn't flow, All the  host connected on Vlan 300 is not reachable via Cisco L3 switch trunk uplink.

Please suggest

Offline TankII

Re: ERS5632 trunk not working with cisco switch.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
Do you have any links between the Cisco and Juniper equipment so they can talk to each other without the Avaya switch involved?
How are you managing the failover?  RSTP?  STP?
TankII

Offline sam4u

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 03:38:56 AM »

Do you have any links between the Cisco and Juniper equipment so they can talk to each other without the Avaya switch involved?
How are you managing the failover?  RSTP?  STP?
TankII

Yes they have inter-connectivity between Cisco and Juniper,they are running RSTP, VRRP is running between only through VLAN for

just for my understanding...plz confirm i have kept STP learning disable on both the trunk uplink...is it correct?
 I kept it disable because when the STP is up both the ports Role show as a  Designated   

Offline TankII

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
If they are in a triangle (which is what it appears to be), you have to have STP on all legs as one has to go into blocking mode.  If you had a clustered pair of Cisco or pair of Juniper cores, then you could build an aggregated link (MLT) without STP on the Avaya switch.  Since Cisco and Juniper do not share a common virtual chassis configuration, you are seeing the result of either a loop on the management VLAN (which is dropping connectivity), or the RSTP link between the two chassis is going into blocking mode as it sees a loop on the leg to the Avaya hardware.  BTW, the only way for all of this to work is for all of it, including the link between the Cisco and Juniper, to have a presence in VLAN 300.  You just have to make sure all VLANS have RSTP enabled and fast-learning spanning tree enabled at the port level so the STP tree can be built.

TankII

Offline sam4u

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 08:11:55 AM »
As per customer they have connectivity between Cisco and juniper device, but they are are forwarding VLAN 300 from that link.

I have enabled RSTP on Avaya Switch.

After enabling Spanning tree RSTP learning enabling on both the port, the output on Command Show int X/XX config , it shows both the uplink Role  as a designated port.  plz correct me if im wrong one port should be in back-up designated port?

diagram attached for reference