• November 14, 2018, 09:16:30 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: IPTV multicast and ERS  (Read 6690 times)

Offline anoopkmr

• Rookie
IPTV multicast and ERS
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »
Dear Experts,

I am having an issue in IPTV multicast. My Data network consists of ERS 8600, 8300, and 4500.  Two Ers 8600 forming SMLT cluster at the Core Layer and two 8300-smlt cluster at the distribution and Ers 4500 stack at the edge. Attached is the logical layout.

IPTV server (source) is connected to one of the ERS 8300-Dist-Sw. currently multicast is flowing and can see the videos without any issues.  But the problem is when I press the Channel UP/Down button in the remote one by one, videos are not displaying consecutively  and after some time suddenly one channel will come , ie; channels in between are missing . 
for example : if I press the UP button while  viewing the channel 235.1.1.3  (  say channel 3)  then nothing will come on the TV , again if  I press UP ..No display ... after some time it may display the channel 17 or channel 20 .. Channels in between are skipping. . I have allocated around 100 of channels sequentially from 235.1.1.1-100.

I have captured the traffic going in and out of the Set-TOP BOX.. And the observation is as follows.

1) For the channel that are not displaying, set-top BOX is not sending IGMP Join reports.
2) But for some channels without any IGMP request, packets are flowing to the Set-TOP box from the server.   At that time set-top box will hung .here I have doubt. Is there anything wrong in the switching configuration or its something related to IPTV devices.
 3)  Strange is that the above (Line 2)   issue is not happening all the time. But channel skipping is always there.

see the attached wireshark captures snap shot.. actual capture size is too big

IPTV-capture1: where packets are flowing to Set-TOP box ( IP : 10.0.1.110)  without any IGMP request from the server ( IP 10.0.0.201)  . I was watching channel 3 ( 235.1.1.3 ) and then I tried to see channel 4 ,5,6,7........etc. nothing is coming in screen till channel 17 ( 235.1.1.17) ..

IPTV-capture2 ( a,b,c,d) :  while seeing 235.1.1.17, I changed the channel and nothing was displayed in the screen till channel 22 (235.1.1.22) . Here i can see there is no request from Set-TOP box for those missing channels and  but in capture  I can see still the flow of 235.1.1.17  and again  I press the UP button , then cahnnel 23-26 is missing and 27 statrted viewing .. but still the capture is showing all the packets  : 235.1.1.17,22,and 24 ...
IPTV-CAPTURE2.A : will show 235.1.1.22 Join request
IPTV-CAPTURE2-B will show the 22 leave request
IPTV-CAPTURE2-C will show how the 24 statred flowing ( with out any IGMP join request ,pcakets are flowing from server ) . capture shows some error as well.
IPTV-CAPTURE2-D :  will show 27 Join request.

Kindly help me...  revert back to me for any clarification or correct me if I am wrong in my observations.

Thanks
Anoop

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: IPTV multicast and ERS
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:59:54 PM »
Hi anoopkmr and welcome to the forums!

You've provided a lot of great information in your post and unfortunately I don't have the time right now to provide a detail response, however, I do have a quick question.

What version of software are you running on the switches that are involved in your Multicast traffic?

Cheers!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline anoopkmr

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:38:48 AM »
Hi Michael,

thanks for your response.  running version is as follows.

ERS 8600 : 5.1.2.0

ERS 8300 :4.2.0.1

ERS 4500 : 5.4.1.013

thanks
Anoop

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:24:30 PM »
You have IGMP enabled on the edge switches? What version of IGMP are you using? Are you using DVMRP or PIM for your Multicast routing?

When you collected the packet traces did you examine the IGMP tables on the edge switches?

Have you reviewed some of the other Multicast threads in this forum?

https://forums.networkinfrastructure.info/nortel-ethernet-switching/multicast-flood/
https://forums.networkinfrastructure.info/nortel-ethernet-switching/multicast-igmp-over-86005500-smlt-square/

There's also a pretty good document available from Avaya/Nortel; https://support.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100101218

Cheers!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline anoopkmr

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:05:54 AM »
Thanks Michael, for the refrences. let me go through on those.

1) regarding the unwanted mulicast flow from server to client , yesterday I found that those affected switches  were not configured for "unknow multicast flood disabled " : after i enabled that , I am not seeing those packets in my capture,.. any way I am observing it .

2) regarding the missing channels:  As I mentioned Set-Top Box is not even requesting for those channel.. do you think something we need to do on the switches  ? 

Offline rjenk

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
Our site experienced a somewhat similar issue with attempting to push our providers IPTV product across the network.  In our case the video would freeze after about 5-10 seconds.  All of the channel information and other similar content worked fine but as soon as you changed channel the video would play and then freeze.  If you took the 5520 out of the picture and connected the set top box to the integrated switch on the provider's router it worked great.

We had seen a similar issue with some patient monitors so I knew it was related to multicast.  In this case, we had created a new VLAN for the video service as it would only have a couple of televisions connected initially, so we did not require multicast routing.

IGMP snooping and proxy were enabled but it did not help.  I had to change the IGMP version from a default of 1 to version 3.  Once that was done we had a rock solid video stream.  We now have the providers router connected to a 5530/20 stack that connects to our Cisco core and from there we have a set top box in two locations connected to 5520 stacks in two closets.

Note that you must set the IGMP version via command prompt or DM...there is not an option via the menu shell to set it.  Command line:

interface vlan <VLAN #>
ip igmp proxy
ip igmp snooping
ip igmp version 3

Not sure if that helps but that is what solved our problem.

Take care,
Ray
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:42:08 PM by rjenk »

Offline mixthoor

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:12:47 AM »
Hi,

today I had a same problem with similar infrastructure. I activated the IGMPv3 on the VLAN Interface, flushed the Multicast Router and restated the TV Box. After that I was able to see all channels.
On the 2nd ERS is still working IGMPv2 and it works without any problems. FW is the same, I don't understand this:
Operational Software:  FW:5.6.2.1   SW:v5.6.3.025
Installed software:    FW:5.6.2.1   SW:v5.6.3.025

----

My current right configuration:
sh running-config verbose module ipmc
(...)
! *** IGMP ***
!
vlan igmp unknown-mcast-no-flood disable
interface vlan 900
no ip igmp router-alert
ip igmp snooping
no ip igmp proxy
no ip igmp send-query
ip igmp version 3
no ip igmp mrouter
exit

----

and verify:
sh ip igmp interface vlan 900
     Query      Oper                 Query   Wrong              LastMbr Send
VLAN Intvl Vers Vers Querier         MaxRspT Query Joins Robust Query   Query
---- ----- ---- ---- --------------- ------- ----- ----- ------ ------- -----
900  125   3    2    x.x.x.x    100     0     418   2      10      No

---

Can someone activate the 'codes' for me? I want to paste the config's outputs correctly. Thx!
ACE-Fx I #00531

Offline mixthoor

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »
 bad news, on the other SW (same HW and SW) it doesn't work. I will tshoot it tomorrow
ACE-Fx I #00531

Offline mixthoor

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »
I read the docus about IGMP yesterday and I prepared the correct settings for my switches:

For my old 5510 ERS with IPTV Source box:
sysDescr:              Ethernet Routing Switch 5510-48T
Operational Software:  FW:6.0.0.16   SW:v6.3.1.039
Installed software:    FW:6.0.0.16   SW:v6.3.1.039

interface vlan 900
ip igmp router-alert
ip igmp snooping
ip igmp proxy
ip igmp send-query
ip igmp version 3 query-interval 60
ip igmp mrouter 1/47-48

!