• June 22, 2018, 04:21:23 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ERS 5900 Vlan Interface and Management Port Ping Spike  (Read 1434 times)

Offline aidilsyar

• Rookie
ERS 5900 Vlan Interface and Management Port Ping Spike
« on: March 21, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm new in AVAYA. I have AVAYA 5952GTS have random ping spike on vlan interface and management port. I've 6 switches same model facing same issue. Already open ticket with avaya waiting their respond with my issue. Other than vlan interface can't be ping without enable IP Routing. I believe other brand does not required to enable ip routing for the vlan member to ping their own vlan interface. Anyone have facing same issue with me or this is normal for Avaya switches?

Specs:
AVAYA 5952GTS
FW: 7.0.0.3
SW: 7.0.0.009

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: ERS 5900 Vlan Interface and Management Port Ping Spike
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 01:26:15 PM »
Responding to the ping request is one of the lowest priority things a router does.  So ping packets may not be processed in a very timely manner if the router has anything better to do.  Specifically with routing through Avaya ERS units, I found that pinging through the router to something else on another VLAN gave much more reliable statistics.

Offline aidilsyar

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »
Responding to the ping request is one of the lowest priority things a router does.  So ping packets may not be processed in a very timely manner if the router has anything better to do.  Specifically with routing through Avaya ERS units, I found that pinging through the router to something else on another VLAN gave much more reliable statistics.

Only 3 client are connected during that test. If you saying the switch have a huge load to process it is possible and also the client is not do any work. I'm so worried because we are testing with few client connected have this issue. Later all 6 switches are connected with a lot of user that using high bandwidth.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »
No, the switch isn't being loaded heavily.  It just doesn't really care about responding to ping messages quickly always.  When we were using ERS 5520's to do some light routing, pinging the VLAN IP address on the switch would give us very odd responses of 1ms up to 500ms randomly.  But if you ping through the switch to a server system on another VLAN, the ping time was always 1ms.  So the switch is passing the traffic just fine.  It just doesn't always care about responding to pings destined for it's self too quickly.  ERS 5000 units can handle huge volumes of traffic just fine.