• November 25, 2020, 11:30:18 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ERS 5650TD Core Pair with Server 2012 NIC Teaming  (Read 4437 times)

Offline jaderampulla

• Rookie
    • http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jade-rampulla/47/a8b/a80
ERS 5650TD Core Pair with Server 2012 NIC Teaming
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:43:55 AM »
I configured 2 ERS 5650TD's as "cores" with an IST between them, VLACP, VRRP, SMLT's to other switches and stacks, etc.

Everything is working great from the infrastructure switching point of view, but we're stuck on how to do best practices for link aggregation to servers. Ideally it would be nice to have servers simultaneously plugged into both cores with link aggregation. Is it possible to do dynamic link aggregation while utilizing both cores to minimize switch port configuration on the infrastructure side?

Does anyone know best practices for link aggregation with Windows Server 2012? It looks like there's new functionality on the Windows side of things, but I can't post the link I have in the forum  :'(

Is it better to manually create an SMLT configuration on the switch and standard LACP from the server point of view?...or is it possible to use dynamic LACP on both switches and do the bulk of the config on the server side?

Offline TankII

Re: ERS 5650TD Core Pair with Server 2012 NIC Teaming
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
I haven't seen a feature change yet, so:
Dynamic LACP on Clustered 5XXX series switches is not available. 
Not sure if PIM on clustered switches is now available with 6.3.X - Haven't looked into it.

You would have to configure the ports in an SLT and set the server up with a GEC equivalent like a Static LACP config.  AFT will not work in this configuration, though NLB might.  Be careful with NLB - it's not particularly stable if the ports are in an SLT configuration.

TankII

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:27 PM »
It really depends.  I have results using good'old SMLT and LACP.

Here are several docs I would start with.

Google them or search for them on support.avaya.com

NN48500-577
NN48500-593
NN48500-542

ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8

Offline MatzeKS

• matzeks
    • Controlware GmbH - Germany
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:37 AM »
It really depends.  I have results using good'old SMLT and LACP.

I agree too, SLT/SMLT with LACP is definitively supported by AVAYA and works fine on my customer DC's since more than two years.
------------------------------------------------------
ACE-Fx #00050

Offline jaderampulla

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »
Thanks for the response guys. The IT admin I'm working with would like to do everything from the server side instead of mandatory infrastructure config changes each time a server moves, but maybe it's a necessary evil to manually setup SMLT and LACP. On Server 2012, we might not even need LACP. See here (take out the spaces in "h t t p"):

h t t p://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2012/10/16/nic-teaming-in-windows-server-2012-do-i-need-to-configure-my-switch.aspx

Seems to me like switch independent teaming on Server 2012 is a response by Microsoft to Cisco and other vendors inability to have link aggregation to multiple switches. Props to Avaya for being able to!

Offline jaderampulla

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »
Circling back to the other portion of this topic...

Has anyone done NIC teaming with Server 2012? The teaming is done within the Microsoft OS instead of vendor specific software for the NIC's like it has been in the past. Would be nice to know if anyone has done this with an Avaya SMLT setup. Has anyone tried to do LACP teaming mode?