• October 17, 2018, 07:39:24 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ERS 5632FD strange Layer 2 issue  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Jens S

• Rookie
ERS 5632FD strange Layer 2 issue
« on: February 25, 2016, 02:31:39 AM »
Hi there,

first time posting! We have a really strange problem with a VLAN in an IST cluster.

########                         |---------------########
# CoreA.1 #---------------------^---------------# CoreB.1 #
########                         |    |            ########
    | |                                  |    |               | |
    | |                                  |    |               | |
########                         |    |             ########
# CoreA.2 #-------------------------^-----------# CoreA.2 #
########                              |-----------########

That is the initial setup. These are two locations in the same town connected over a direct attached dark-fibre connection. On each location are two ERS 5632FD as an IST cluster installed. The two clusters are connected over the dark-fibre with SMLT. On each side is a BladeCenter installed which is connected directly to the cores over 2 10Gbit Interfaces. This network connection is active-passive. Also the BladeCenter is running an ESX Server on each side in a cluster. So the management for both BladeCenter XEN Server is centralized.
There are also several VLANs configured on all cores, as well as on the BladeCenter interfaces. These VLANs are configured tagAll on the BladeCenter uplinks. There are also some VRRP routing instances running on the core clusters.

Now we have a Windows Server 2012 running on side B. This server is fully reachable with ping, rdp and whatever from the customers Data Network (so routing etc. works fine).
When we migrate this server on the Blade Center on Side A...we don't get any ethernet connection. No Ping, no traceroute, no rdp...nothing. I have checked the MAC entry and the MAC is moved with the server. Lets say the Server was registred on CoreB.2 Port 30 and was then moved to side A. I see the server MAC address von CoreA.2 port 30. Also the VLAN is displayed correct. There is one difference between side A and side B and VLAn1002. The VRRP routing instance is on side A. We tested the routing with a different PC connected on CoreA.2 on another port with VLAN1002. This worked fine for us.

I hope you guys can understand what i have written... :-[

I'm also with Avaya support in contact, but actually, we have tried a lot of things and nothing seems wrong on the core side...

Best regards!
Best Regards,
Jens!

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: ERS 5632FD strange Layer 2 issue
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 01:42:51 PM »
Could you tell us what software level you are using on the ERS 5632's?

Offline Jens S

• Rookie
Re: ERS 5632FD strange Layer 2 issue
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
Ofcourese,

we are using actual v6.3.4.029...

I also just got the information from the customer, that the problem does not exist anymore.
The problem here was a "duplicate" VLAN configuration on the BladeCenters.

They configured the VLAN on the NIC of the BladeCenter and also cpmfigured it in the XEN-Server settings (or so, I'm not familiar with XEN). So it seems like, that you can do one of those, but not booth.

Thanks anyway :)
Best Regards,
Jens!