• November 23, 2020, 04:35:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ERS 5520 ... easy questions ...  (Read 2810 times)

Offline kitt001

• Rookie
ERS 5520 ... easy questions ...
« on: July 19, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »
Hi All,
I'm new here, and new to Avaya/Nortel switches, so if I ask anything that's 101, please feel free to smack me :) ...

Quick background ... I've got all Cisco gear on site, but I inherited a pallet full of Nortel 5520-48T-PWR's in an asset acquisition that didn't come with people (I'm just the network guy around here), so I'm learning these as I go and figuring out what I'm ultimately doing with them..

Anyway, first question ... the ones I've got running have 6.3.4 software on them and I've been trying to figure out if that's the most current or not.  I've seen references on Avaya's site to 6.6 and 7.0, but I don't get the impression they'll run on this hardware, so this might be the latest?.  Not sure if it matters or not for what I'd even do with them, but the possibility exists that we also inherited a support contract with Avaya to get the later firmware, however, due to the hoops I'll need to jump through to figure that out, I wanted to see if there was even any point.

Second question ... Is there a way to clear the "Reset Count" flag that displays during boot back to 0?  From my perspective, that number would be more useful based from when 'I' deployed the units (not the last company).  Since they all vary (and they say anything from 10-30), it's not like any of those numbers are going to raise a red flag when I see them and make me wonder why the number incremented from the last time I looked ... not that the counter is even important, but it annoys me enough ask people that might know. lol

Thanks

Offline Roberx

• Rookie
Re: ERS 5520 ... easy questions ...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 12:09:59 AM »
kitt001 welcome to the party! I was in your shoes about 8 months ago! One of the first things you should do is sign up on the Avaya support website. From there you will be able to download firmware and software along with some every helpful documents! I am currently running the 6.6.1 software on all of my 5060TD and 5632FD in my network. Let me know if there is anything else you need help with!

Offline Dominik

• Global Moderator
    • Networkautobahn
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:46:56 AM »
Hi kitt001 and welcome to the forum.

SW 6.3.4 is not the newest, but a recent stable release. I think you can stay with 6.3.4, with your ERS5520.
It also depends what you have planed to do with your ERS5520 switches. Do you want to use them as simple L2
access swicthes or run theam as L3 mmaybe as a switchcluster (wich would be in Cisco VPC).

Cheers
Itīs always the networks fault!
networkautobahn.com

Offline kitt001

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »
Thanks guys, I looked at the release notes for 6.6, but the 5520 isn't listed in the supported hardware section ... So I thought support for them might have stopped at 6.3.x.  Maybe I'll look into if we inherited a support account also.

My plan is to possibly just use some of these for L2 access, so as long as it's stable, it's probably fine.

Any thoughts on clearing the reset counter?

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »
For the 55xx series of switches the last release to date is v6.3.5 which came out not to long ago.  So being at v6.3.4 isn't a bad thing.  As you noticed, there are multiple types of 5000 series switches.  There is the original 5500's ( 5510, 5520, 5530 ).  The 5600's ( 5632, 5650, 5698 ) and the brand new 5900's ( 5928, 5952 ).  5500's can use code from v1.0-v6.3.5 .  5600's use code v6.0-v6.6.1 .  And the 5900's use v7.0 and up.  So that means you can mix 5500's and 5600's in the same stack if you want since they can both run the same levels of code.

To clear the boot numbers you need to break in during the boot sequence and erase the flash.  It will delete the configuration on the unit, but it will also reset that counter back to 1.

Offline kitt001

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »
Thanks Telair ... I can't imagine that going from 6.3.4 to 6.3.5 is going to be worth the monumental challenge that I suspect it will present to get the files.  I'll give it a cursory try to see if I can find what the Avaya account is, but without any of relevant the personnel from the acquisition, I'm going to assume the info is likely lost.

And I assume that you mean the "Press 'i' to initialize ..." prompt in the Diags menu? ... If so, I've tried that many times to no avail. Each reset just increments the counter ... like it's an odometer or something.  lol