• October 17, 2018, 07:39:07 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ERS 3524GT fiber ring  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Gknight

• Rookie
ERS 3524GT fiber ring
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
We have a customer that currently has 4 buildings on their property with fiber going to them all jumping from building to building, each one connected to a 3524GT-PWR via GBIC. The customer is adding another building looking to complete a fiber ring around the property. Right now I just have all the VLANs tagged on the ports that have the fiber plugged in. How do I program the 2 ports that will be connecting the fiber ring to prevent a loop? Do I need to change how the ports are currently programmed on the uplink ports now?

I've been reading on vlacp, but don't quiet understand it enough to implement anything.

Not sure exactly what version the switches are on, think most of them are 5.2.0.004 I can upgrade if needed.

Offline Řyvind Nikolaisen

Re: ERS 3524GT fiber ring
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »
With this setup, you'll just have to go with spanning-tree on all fiber ports. The ERS3500-series switches can't do SPB, which would have been really nice for a ring of this type.

Brgds,
Řyvind
Best regards,

Řyvind Nikolaisen
Senior Network Architect
NetNordic Communications AS
Avaya ACE Fx #204

Offline Gknight

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:36:04 AM »
dont all of my vlans go to the default spanning tree group anyways?  so, would I really need to do anything?  what about rstp instead of stp?

sorry if I'm asking amateur questions, I am, I come from a telephony background, very comfortable with vlans and routing, never done anything like this. been working with the 3500ERS for a couple of years.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 05:43:08 PM »
VLACP is used to ensure point-to-point links are operating even if the port stays lit so the switch thinks it is operating, but the far end device may have lost it's mind.  So you would have VLACP configured on the fibre ports between all the switches and if something happens to a switch, the unit on the other end would quickly shut that port down which would let spanning-tree re-route around the failed unit.

If they want to do a loop, then yeah.  I would go use rapid spanning-tree just for the faster convergence time over standard old spanning-tree.  Maybe look at putting the network ports facing the users in to a separate spanning-tree instance from the uplink/downlink ports.  That way a user port change doesn't trigger a re-convergence on your backbone.