• February 19, 2018, 01:16:07 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Edge Switches - Avaya or Extreme  (Read 807 times)

Offline ableseaman

Edge Switches - Avaya or Extreme
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:07:30 AM »
Good Afternoon

A high level query I appreciate.....

We have always been a Nortel/Avaya house for both voice and data. Investment has been made recently in a data centre core/server LAN using Avaya VSP 8200, VSP7200 and VSP4800 in providing a 'fabric enabled' solution. We currently use ERS5500 switches within our multiple edge closets with SMLT 1Gb uplinks to our core switches. Budget is available to commence a refresh process covering these edge switches. Our intentions where to utilise the ERS 4900 switches with 10Gb uplinks - inhouse skills mean that the implementation can be covered in-house. On the voice estate we use AACC6/CS1000e and around 1000 1120E IP sets, so a bedded in configuration is in place that woudl be replicated with the ERS4900. However with the Extreme purchase we have been informed that their X450/460 range would be a more than able alternative. The likelyhood being that the X range will see the longer term R&D with ERS probably seeing an EoL at some point going forward. This possibly means external cost for switch builds and training needs for internal staff.

Don't want to rush into anything but budget is linked to end of financial year constraints....

Just wondered if any others are at a similar point and what there thoughts are going forward.

Cheers

Offline Sja

Re: Edge Switches - Avaya or Extreme
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »
Hi

Every thing will be EoL in some point ....I would not buy X460/450 just because of that...
The - is
Multivendor network is more complex
X460 could not be use as SPB node
+
I like the color?

By the way
EoL link to X460

http://learn.extremenetworks.com/rs/641-VMV-602/images/EoS-Announcement_X460.pdf