• September 25, 2020, 01:47:56 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Connecting Linksys SGE2000P and 5520-24T-PWR  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Fury

• Rookie
Connecting Linksys SGE2000P and 5520-24T-PWR
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
Running into a mystery concerning getting a connection from a Linksys SGE2000P to a ERS 5520-24T-PWR.

We already have the 5520 acting as an edge switch and VLAN 59 being used on the switch. This has been working well for a couple of years.

We want to connect the SGE2000P via SFP GBIC to the 5520. Both devices are running as L2.

The Linksys (SW version 1.0.0.45) sets the Default VLAN to 100. We created VLAN 45.

We made the fiber uplink port on the SGE2000P to be a Tagged General port - the General" Interface VLAN Mode is used when the port "belongs to VLANs, and each VLAN is used-defined as tagged or untagged (full 802.1q mode)", and a PVID of 59. The end-user ports are set as Untagged Access ports, and the end-user ports have a PVID of 59.

We made the fiber uplink port on the 5520 as a TagAll port with a Default VLAN ID of 59.

We do get link lights when we connect the switches via fiber. The activity light is not very active, telling me we are close, but not there. Pinging from either end of the connection results in timeouts.

Any ideas? There does not seem to be a CLI option for this Linksys switch.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Connecting Linksys SGE2000P and 5520-24T-PWR
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »
Are you getting any IO (ifInOctets/ifOutOctets) on the ports? Any MAC/FDB table information?
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline Fury

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
Are you getting any IO (ifInOctets/ifOutOctets) on the ports? Any MAC/FDB table information?

Unfortunately I did not get that far, as I had a very small window in which to do the hookup. We're providing "Best Effort" to this entity in regards to this setup and they have no spare which we can test with.

I'll have to wait until later in December to do further testing, due to the nature of the applications that these switches support.

Offline Fury

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
Well, I punted on getting the Linksys boat anchors switches to connect to the 5520.

I found that power cycling the switch would reset the admin password back to its default - no password. I explicitly changed and saved the password again. Another power cycle - another reset of the password. Don't know why, other than more than one switch exhibited this behavior. I'm not even going to mess with upgrading the software.

I ended up purchasing several ES 460-24T-PWR switches with the BPS2000-2GE MDA and will use the 460s instead of the Linksys "switches". No device on this small network requires 1Gb connections, so all is good.