• October 21, 2019, 12:17:08 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Changing In-Band Stack IP Address of Nortel 4550 stack  (Read 85 times)

Offline jscooper22

• Rookie
Changing In-Band Stack IP Address of Nortel 4550 stack
« on: September 22, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
Hi,

We have a stack of old 4550GT and 4550T-PWR switches (3 each). We're replacing them within a year but I'd like to change the IP address now, and I want to be sure I don't brick or lose ability to connect to them once I do (since they connect my whole office).

The documentation seems to assume I'm going from default, so it wants me to set it first through a Console Port then set the default IP, and THEN set the IP in the web interface, but it looks like I should be able to just change it (keeping it in the same subnet). Am I safe to just change In-Band Stack IP Address in Configuration/IP as long as I'm not changing the gateway or mask? Is there any risk I won't be able to reconnect to the switch (once I go to the new address obviously) after I hit Submit then Apply on the warning dialog?

Also wondering if I need to change the Default IP via console to match so it doesn't revert on reboot -- or if "default" means something else here (like revert on reset to defaults).

There seems to be a Quick Start section of the web UI, but no mention of it in the docs.

I've changed plenty of other switches' IPs without issue, but not these and it has less to do with the odds that I'll break something than with how much it'll make inoperable (basically, my whole network) down if I do.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline pat2012

Re: Changing In-Band Stack IP Address of Nortel 4550 stack
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 06:31:27 PM »
Even if you screw something up with the Stack IP, this would not bring down the network.  If you want to be safe, make the change via the console:

#config t
#no ip address stack <old IP>
#ip address stack <new IP> netmask <network mask> def <default gateway>