• February 22, 2018, 01:28:42 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Baystack 5520 web configuration.  (Read 1710 times)

Offline bennuss

• Rookie
Baystack 5520 web configuration.
« on: June 10, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
I got hold of one of these switches and would like to configure it through the web interface.
1st) how can i upgrade the os?
There is a lot of great info on here for the cli but not very much for the web gui. I want to create three vlans one for cameras that would would use assigned ports, one for phones and one for computers. the phone and computers i want the ports to be dynamic and also want to be able to use the switch port on the phone. I saw a blog post on here that i would set all untagged traffic on a port to the data vlan. can this be done using the web gui or i need to use the cli? My camera server will have two nics one for within the camera subnet for recording and one within the the computer subnet for remote access.
thanks

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Baystack 5520 web configuration.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
Hi bennuss, welcome to the forums!

We use the CLI because it's much easier to describe and document using the CLI than using a WEBUI.

We teach people how to use the CLI first and then later they can use the GUI if that's their preference but in a disaster scenario the CLI is usually all you have so it's a good idea to understand how it works before the disaster hits.

You'll need to perform some basic configuration from the CLI before you'll be able to use the WEBUI.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline bennuss

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:28:29 PM »
I prefer the cli. i have some general knowledge from setting up cisco -i know they arent the same- but i cant access the cli for anything. I usually use putty (no hypert in win10) to telnet in but I have had no success. I tried with my serial to rj45 cable and my rj45 to usb cable. the web gui I had no problem getting in. i set to 192.168.192.168 using the front  button and logged in.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:30:20 PM by bennuss »

Offline TankII

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »
What is the MFR date of the unit?  If it is newer, it will have EDM, which is a full graphical representation of the equipment over the network.  Otherwise you can use Java Device Manager for the same purpose.

Code upgrades require a support contract.

That being said, the console cable is pinned differently from Cisco/3Com/HP.  We use our Brocade or Avaya/Nortel cables with these switches.  That would probably explain why you don't see anything on the screen.

TankII