• November 26, 2020, 04:33:05 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: backup config on ERS-8610 (5.1.3.1)  (Read 8086 times)

Offline CptnBlues63

backup config on ERS-8610 (5.1.3.1)
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
Ok, this may sound stupid but, I'm looking for a better, faster, more efficient way to backup the config on 8600's.

The method we've been using is to telnet into the switch and then do the following:

config cli more false
show config

Then copy/paste the config into a .txt document and save that to our NAS with all the other switch config backups (then, change "cli more" back to "true" and logout of switch)

Is there a better/faster way to do this?  It's pretty darn simple on all the 5500's and 5600's we have (I always do both a .txt and a binary backup of the configs on these) and rather than pour through documents I'm hoping someone can tell me or provide me with a link. 

TIA.

Offline telecom116

Re: backup config on ERS-8610 (5.1.3.1)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
Simply back up the saved configuration file on the internal flash to a TFTP server.

In CLI mode to copy to a TFTP server:

copy /flash/config.cfg xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:backup_filename_you_want

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your TFTP host.

Also, don't forget to back up the boot.cfg file, which contains boot flags; it doesn't change often but it does need to be backed up:

copy /flash/boot.cfg xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:bootfile_backup_filename_you_want
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:19:41 PM by telecom116 »

Offline CptnBlues63

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
Simply back up the saved configuration file on the internal flash to a TFTP server.

Also, don't forget to back up the boot.cfg file, which contains boot flags; it doesn't change often but it does need to be backed up:

Thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate it!

I'm going to go put it to good use in about 5 min's

Offline CptnBlues63

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »

The above worked like a charm....thanks a bunch!

I've backed up both cores (both files) and created a procedure guide document so everyone else will now know what to do.

I have two more questions. 

One, should it become necessary, can you please give me the command lines for restoring the config.cfg and boot.cfg?

Second, I noticed while backing up I can't erase a typo (ie: backspace) while working in the CLI.  I know in the 5500's you have to hold Ctrl to backspace but that doesn't work in the 8600's.  So I'm wondering, does anybody know how to backspace and/or if it's possible at all?

After fat fingering on the first command I got smart and typed the command I wanted into a text file and copy/pasted it into the CLI but I figured there has to be a way somehow and if there is, I'd like to know it.

TIA
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:23:48 PM by CptnBlues63 »

Offline TankII

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
What we do is:
save boot
save config
copy /flash/config.cfg /pcmcia/config.cfg - your fitst local backup
copy /flash/config.cfg 127.0.0.6:/pcmcia/config.cfg - your second local backup
copy /flash/config.cfg X.X.X.X:/config.cfg -TFTP off system
Then, if the boot config has changed (and assuming you boot off of the pcmcia):
copy /pcmcia/pcmboot.cfg 127.0.0.6:/flash/boot.cfg
copy /pcmcia/pcmboot.cfg 127.0.0.6:/pcmcia/pcmboot.cfg
copy /pcmcia/pcmboot.cfg X.X.X.X:/boot.cfg
The  reason for copying the CPU 5 boot files  to 6 is while the config.cfg files are always kept identical between CPU's, the boot.cfg is saved on a per-blade basis, and is saved to both Flash and PCMCIA each time.  You have to copy from the original (pcmboot.cfg) to the secondary CPU to make sure the boot configuration stays identical between blades.

TankII

Offline telecom116

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 04:04:14 PM »
Second, I noticed while backing up I can't erase a typo (ie: backspace) while working in the CLI.  I know in the 5500's you have to hold Ctrl to backspace but that doesn't work in the 8600's.  So I'm wondering, does anybody know how to backspace and/or if it's possible at all?
You should be able to use arrow and backspace keys for editing in the CLI via Telnet or SSH.  If you're using PuTTY make sure you have the Backspace key definition under Keyboard set to Control-H.  Or alternately, use CTRL-H to backspace.  PuTTY out of the box defaults to Control-? for the Backspace key.

Offline WarEagleEd

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 05:09:29 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but the information below worked for me. I needed to get the configuration files off of two of our ERS8010s. Using TFTP and the syntax below I was able to download the config files to my management computer.

Ed