• February 24, 2018, 01:25:16 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Backing up a 5520 file  (Read 775 times)

Offline mrlarry2000

• Rookie
Backing up a 5520 file
« on: August 07, 2016, 08:29:17 PM »
Sorry if this sounds so newbie but I need some help. I have a 5520 that is not connected anymore to the network. I am trying to copy the running config but I am not hooking up to it correctly. I can console to it and send the commands but I cannot retrieve the TFTP file. The switch is 131.60.185.15 with Gateway 185.1
I set my laptop with a static address of 185.145 with the gateway of 185.1, and my ethernet connected on port 1 of my switch. No ping is achieved and my link show limited connectivity. Could someone please correct what I am doing on this process. I need to nail this down because I will be connecting to 48xx switches and uploading these config files to reduce hand jamming.

Thanks

Offline bbinder

• Rookie
Re: Backing up a 5520 file
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 09:00:09 PM »
If that's the management VLAN, then it should be as follows:
  • You're putting yourself on the same network, so you don't need a default gateway
  • Plug into a switch port, ensuring it's on the same VLAN as the management VLAN of the switch itself
Sounds like all you're missing is ensuring you're on the same management VLAN.  Keep it simple and if your MGMT VLAN is 777, then untagall, port 1, VLAN 777 and you should be able to ping it so long as you're on the same network - again, no need for a default gateway if you're on the same network.
Sounds like you're just about there.

Offline CptnBlues63

Re: Backing up a 5520 file
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 12:48:55 PM »
If that's the management VLAN, then it should be as follows:
  • You're putting yourself on the same network, so you don't need a default gateway
  • Plug into a switch port, ensuring it's on the same VLAN as the management VLAN of the switch itself
Sounds like all you're missing is ensuring you're on the same management VLAN.  Keep it simple and if your MGMT VLAN is 777, then untagall, port 1, VLAN 777 and you should be able to ping it so long as you're on the same network - again, no need for a default gateway if you're on the same network.
Sounds like you're just about there.

It's been my experience that you can't have a gateway IP on the computer you're connecting to the switch and be able to communicate with the switch via the network interface.  So remove the gateway IP from whatever computer you're connecting with, ensure your PC's IP is the same subnet and try pinging again, it should work now.