• June 26, 2017, 09:50:03 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Avaya ERS 8010- Operational guide  (Read 464 times)

Offline foysol_bgd

• Rookie
Avaya ERS 8010- Operational guide
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
Dear Experts,

I am looking for a operational guide documents for ERS-8010. I already have the administration guide and configuration guide. Here are my requirements. Any link or help will be great.

I am new to this platform. I know how to run basic commands and use the gui/jdm.

1. What will be the process to replace a faulty line card? Do I need to make sure the firmware version in line card match with the OS version in the switch. How can I know which firmware is compatible with what OS version? (I know how to do a proper pre and post check of the routing protocols and other configurations. This is more of a hardware and software of the chassis/cards).

2. Similar to point 1, what is the process to replace a faulty CPU and what are the necessary checks I should perform.

3. In HA mode (hot standby), what is the command to completely power -cycle the switch. What command will failover to secondary CPU and how to verify the synchronisation of forwarding tables.

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: Avaya ERS 8010- Operational guide
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
Welcome back to the forums foysol_bgd.

1) It's going to depend entirely on the type of card... the early cards, you could just swap and replace. Later cards had FPGA and PIM software that you might need to update. You would need to engage Avaya support or consult the release notes to understand the minimum software release requirements.

2) You'll need to manually copy the software, boot code and configuration files to the new CPU in monitor mode. Once you've done that you can just boot the new CPU. You can use the PCMCIA card to transfer the data between the new and old CPU, if the old CPU is complete dead - you have backups on the PCMCIA card right?

You can have a look at this post to familiarize yourself with what you need to copy;
https://blog.michaelfmcnamara.com/2007/12/upgrade-software-nortel-ers-8600/

3) I believe there is a command, although It don't recall now, you can just reboot the active 8629SF and it will failover.

Cheers!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!

Offline foysol_bgd

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:30:30 PM »
Thank you Michael. I always look and read your blog first to resolve any Nortel Switch issues.

Recently, I insert a card to a switch and see the the below messages. Not sure what they mean and how to resolve this.

I think you can issue "boot" command and it will be fail back to secondary cpu. The "reset" command will reload the whole switch.

CPU5 [02/06/17 09:32:19] SW INFO dpmTrackWaitFailure: reset slot 7 - No SM Handshake from COP for 33 seconds
CPU5 [02/06/17 09:31:45] SW INFO RS-Module inserted: Slot=7 Type=8634XGRS, waiting to bootup...
CPU5 [02/06/17 09:31:44] SW INFO RS-Module: Slot=7 Type=8634XGRS, powering on...
CPU5 [02/06/17 09:31:32] SW INFO RS-Module: Slot=7 Type=8634XGRS, powering off for 12 secs...
CPU5 [02/06/17 09:31:32] SW INFO dpmTrackWaitFailure: reset slot 7 - No SM Handshake from COP for 33 seconds

Offline pat2012

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »
Check this link below.

It is possible someone tried to upgrade the card and ran into problems and forgot to document it.   ::)

https://forums.networkinfrastructure.info/nortel-ethernet-switching/fpga-update-failure-gtr-module-(8600-5-1-3-0)/

When you insert a line card, observe the command line.  If you need a firmware upgrade, it will give you a message.

Doesn't "hot standby" mean both CPUs are active and synchronised?

Check out this document.  It has the procedures for performing upgrades, including how to check if you need a firmware upgrade.

https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100165969

I was trying to get a link to the troubleshooting document, but no luck. See if you can go to the support site and look for the Documentation Collection for the ERS 8600.  That has all the documents in it.

Offline TankII

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:15:52 AM »
Those messages to me show you do not have the correct firmware loaded on the card for the OS version, and probably don't have the correct running files either.
Read the release notes for your software version.  On the 8600's the files have a .dld extension specific to the line cards.  If those do not exist on the flash, the cards will not boot.
Note, you can stop and start a line card before you eject it for replacement, all command-line or through the GUI

TankII

Offline telecom116

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 10:23:18 PM »
I had these same messages when an RS blade failed.  If you do have other RS blades and the proper dld files in place you might have a bad card.