• September 23, 2020, 07:48:08 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: avaya 4850GTS-PWR+ stack no bandwidth in MRTG  (Read 3686 times)

Offline SacredRose

• Rookie
avaya 4850GTS-PWR+ stack no bandwidth in MRTG
« on: June 12, 2013, 06:28:34 AM »
hello everybody,

i'm trying to use MRTG to get the bandwidth of one of our stacks. on other switches which aren't in a stack i can get the bandwidth with out a problem. but on this stack i can't.

is this a known problem that it just doesn't work with stacked switches or am i doing something wrong ?

Offline Flintstone

• Global Moderator
Re: avaya 4850GTS-PWR+ stack no bandwidth in MRTG
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
Hi SacredRose,

I think you need to supply more information as not sure where the problem is?

Remember there are 64 ports allocated per switch in the stack for mib2 purposes.

CheerZ

Offline SacredRose

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
well i do know that is has that many ports. but if i look at the results i get back i see the active ports and uplink ports. but it looks like there is absolutely no traffic on any of the ports. and it shows the different switches as port 2/10 for example.

but i'm not really sure of what more information you want. so a helping hand would be nice :)

Offline Flintstone

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
Hi SacredRose,

It looks like you can see the port descriptions via mib2, so you should be able to interrogate the transmit/receive traffic OID strings for the associated ports?

Previously, I have been using PRTG and it worked without issues.  You could try using a Sniffer to confirm whether you are interrogating the correct OID strings for transmit/receive traffic?

CheerZ

Offline SacredRose

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:08:24 AM »
yes everything comes in fine, it creates the same files as on other switches. but it looks like there is just no traffic whatsoever on it. which is strange because almost every port is in use.

i am capable of retrieving stuff like broadcast packets going in and out through SNMP. but i really don't know how to get the bandwidth with MRTG. and can i specify an OID with MRTG ? because i just make the .cfg file with this command:
Code: newbielink:javascript:void(0); [nonactive]
cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /usr/local/nagios/MRTG/san' --global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' --output /usr/local/nagios/MRTG/ser1.cfg Bernhoven_RO@10.100.10.31

somehow the forum won't let me post the command

if you want i can post the created cfg file

Offline TankII

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
Download GetIF, look for the standard OID for that interface, and you should be good to go!

TankII

Offline SacredRose

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:06:48 AM »
I think I may have found the solution.

in the configuration file for the stack i added :::::2 and now it seems to return data. although it is telling me right now the bandwidth would be 28.0 M Bits per second or is it 28 Mbits per second ?. don't know if this value is a good one.