• October 21, 2019, 12:16:10 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Avaya 2526T ERS - remove ip address stack  (Read 1659 times)

Offline triple7sss

• Rookie
Avaya 2526T ERS - remove ip address stack
« on: April 24, 2019, 03:27:02 PM »
Hi -

I wonder if someone could enter the way-back machine and tell me the best way to remove a stack IP address from an Avaya 2526T ERS.

I'm relatively new to this company and at a remote location we have CLAN, MedPro, etc cards in two 650 chassis and their IPs are in two different subnets.  One of the subnets is 172.x.x.x and the other is 192.x.x.x and the 192 subnet is tied to the mgmt vlan on the switches.

Wasn't a problem until I started turning up VoIP phones at the main location and they began trying to hit the MedPro at the remote site to complete calls to digital phones at the remote site and the IP for that MedPro sits in the mgmt vlan and that obviously won't route.

Last night I tried to remove the ip address stack 192.x.x.x and move it to a vlan interface so I could route between the two vlans.  I issued the "no ip address stack" command, got the warning message, answered yes, created the vlan interface and gave it the former stack IP, and changed the mgmt to a different vlan.

I could ping the gateway on the router and thought all was well and started doing other clean up.  After a few minutes users started calling - using their cell phones - to let me know phones were down.  I went back and looked and the vlan interface I'd created wasn't in the config and the IP was still on the stack. 

I pondered and tried my config again a couple times and enough time elapsed that the remote site went into ESS because that 192.x.x.x subnet was isolated from the CM at the main site.  I am not Avaya Fu-Master enough to change where the gateways are registered so I had to crack open a ticket with Avaya and have them rehome.  That took a while and my credibility took a hit.

Do I need to disable IP routing on the 2526 and then move the stack IP to a vlan interface and then restart routing?  Is there some other trick?  The stack IP seems pretty persistent.  I tried it on a spare 3524GT and didn't have any trouble moving the switch IP to a vlan interface.

Thanks!

Offline MatzeKS

• matzeks
    • Controlware GmbH - Germany
Re: Avaya 2526T ERS - remove ip address stack
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 01:54:40 AM »
Hi triple7sss,

I guess you enabled global "ip routing", and assigned different ip addresses to each of your vlan interfaces.
With "show vlan ip" you'll see all assigned vlan/ip-subnets. you can change each of them like you want, unless you change the interface where you connect that box  ;) (maybe console would be an option, if possible)

conf t
int vlan aaa
no ip address 192.x.x.x
ip address "whatever" netmask "whatever"
exit

int vlan bbb
no ip address 172.x.x.x
ip address "whatever" netmask "whatever"
exit

end

Good luck
------------------------------------------------------
ACE-Fx #00050

Offline triple7sss

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:51:43 AM »
Thanks MatzeKS. 

I guess the problem I'm having is getting the stack to let go of the IP that is assigned to it.  Below are the commands I entered the other night.

#no ip address stack
This may disable all network connectivity, are you sure (Y/n) ? y
#interface vlan 20
(config-if)#ip address 192.168.4.2 255.255.255.0
(config-if)#end

It looked like everything took and I went merrily on my way but after the world came crashing down I went back and looked and the interface vlan 20 wasn't in the config and 192.168.4.2 was still on the ip address stack.

I tried it a couple other times with the same result.  I need to figure out how to get the switch to relinquish the stack IP so I can assign it to the vlan interface.  I have another vlan interface IP that I can use to access the switch.

Offline MatzeKS

• matzeks
    • Controlware GmbH - Germany
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:40:25 AM »
Finally it depends which vlan you decide to declare as Mgmt-Vlan and if ip-routing is enabled globally:

conf t

!
! *** VLAN Phase 2***
!
vlan mgmt xxx
end

Good luck
------------------------------------------------------
ACE-Fx #00050