• November 26, 2020, 06:44:15 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Assigning a port to multiple VLANs on a BES 1020  (Read 2444 times)

Offline MNBob

• Rookie
Assigning a port to multiple VLANs on a BES 1020
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
I would like to use the BES1020 to share a multifunction printer/scanner and Internet connection between two law firms.  The internet connection (Adtran Netvanta 3430 Router) is providing DHCP to both companies.  I am using Business Element Manager.  How do I prevent a port from being removed from the existing VLAN when I assign it in a newly created VLAN.  The documentation says that a port can be assigned to multiple VLANs.  Does this require a Layer 3 switch for this application?

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: Assigning a port to multiple VLANs on a BES 1020
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:59:29 AM »
Sorry, I don't have a BES unit to try it out on, but generally you need to change a port to tagged mode in order to add multiple VLAN's to a single port.  If it's in untagged mode then only a single VLAN can use the port at a time.  I think the BES units could do that, but it has been a very long time since I last saw one of those and as I remember they were as buggy as hell.  Layer 3 would be routing which is not needed to just tag multiple VLAN's on a single port.

Offline trieudoahong

Re: Assigning a port to multiple VLANs on a BES 1020
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:44:25 PM »
You can access it's web, changed port mode to tagged and add vlans to it. For me BES devices is a little bit tricky with vlan configuration.