• September 21, 2020, 08:16:42 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 8800 "LoopDetectAction" change  (Read 3739 times)

Offline CptnBlues63

8800 "LoopDetectAction" change
« on: July 17, 2015, 11:36:40 AM »
Ok, so I didn't configure our 8800's and while troubleshooting a loop a few days ago I discovered some of our Core ports are set to "vlanBlock" instead of "portDown".  After sending in a change management request I went to change that today on the affected ports thinking all I had to do was select the setting I wanted and click apply. 

When I select "portDown" and click apply I get the following error message:
"The specified operation is not allowed"

I checked the help files and they contain nothing of value.  I did some searches on google and here and didn't find anything so I'm posting these questions before proceeding:

1) What is the correct procedure for changing the "LoopDetectAction" setting from "vlanBlock" to "portDown"
2) Will making this change affect connectivity?

Thanks.

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: 8800 "LoopDetectAction" change
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »
Just my thoughts on it...  When you have a tagged trunk and you detect a loop on one VLAN, are you sure you want to shutdown the whole port and not just the offending VLAN?

Offline CptnBlues63

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:50:36 PM »
Just my thoughts on it...  When you have a tagged trunk and you detect a loop on one VLAN, are you sure you want to shutdown the whole port and not just the offending VLAN?

That's a good question.  I know from experience it's easy enough to determine where the loop is when a port on the core shuts down.  If I were to change them all to shut the VLAN down instead of the port, how would I trace the loop??

And whether I change to "vlan down" as compared to "port down" on loop detect, I still need to know how to change that setting....    :)

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »
This is what I found from Avaya for configuring it in EDM.

Important:
You can also use Simple Loop Prevention Protocol to detect VLAN loops.
Procedure steps
1.  In the Device view, select a port.
2.  From the Enterprise Device Manager menu bar, choose Configuration > Edit > Port.
3.  Click General.
4.  In the LoopDetectAction box, select the action to be taken if a loop is detected.

Important:
Avaya recommends that you select portDown as opposed to a VLAN shutdown (vlanBlock). If vlanBlock is selected, the VLAN is shut down, not the port. The access switch continues to forward traffic to the port. If portDown is selected, the access switch recovers by detecting the failed link.

5.  Click Apply.
6.  To view loop detection information, click Loop Detect.
The Loop Detected tab appears, showing loop detection information.

That's all Avaya says on the matter.  But I can see why portDown would be better than vlanBlock.

Offline CptnBlues63

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:54:08 AM »
This is what I found from Avaya for configuring it in EDM.

Important:
You can also use Simple Loop Prevention Protocol to detect VLAN loops.
Procedure steps
1.  In the Device view, select a port.
2.  From the Enterprise Device Manager menu bar, choose Configuration > Edit > Port.
3.  Click General.
4.  In the LoopDetectAction box, select the action to be taken if a loop is detected.

Important:
Avaya recommends that you select portDown as opposed to a VLAN shutdown (vlanBlock). If vlanBlock is selected, the VLAN is shut down, not the port. The access switch continues to forward traffic to the port. If portDown is selected, the access switch recovers by detecting the failed link.

5.  Click Apply.
6.  To view loop detection information, click Loop Detect.
The Loop Detected tab appears, showing loop detection information.

That's all Avaya says on the matter.  But I can see why portDown would be better than vlanBlock.

We're looking at enabling SLPP throughout our environment and I built a nice lab with some VSP7000's and some 5500's just to work with it and learn it before attempting to deploy it.  However, I've been too busy to work on it.  Sadly, one of my coworkers passed away suddenly from a heart attack in May and I've been covering his job as well as my own.  He ran the data center and maintained all the hardware therein.  Also, he did a lot of the networking and was the person who originally configured our 8600's (now 8800's) before I came to work here.  Anyhow, I've been too busy to continue researching and testing SLPP much less deploying it!

The above info is the exact same info I found.  That's 'initial setup' type info and doesn't seem apply to an existing production port that is set to "vlanBlock"  When I tried to change one from that to "portDown" it gave the above error message and wouldn't allow the change.

I think I may have to disable the port, I'm not sure and since both core's are in production, it's not like I can play around and see.  I was really hoping someone here may have had to do something similar and I could get a quick (easy...lol) answer.

As far as which is better, my assumption was the same after reading through the associated Avaya info....which is to say, portDown is better than vlanBlock for ease of troubleshooting.  With regard to some areas, Avaya's doc's can be a little sketchy and this is one area I didn't find a whole lot of detail.

I think I'm going to contact their support directly on this one since it doesn't appear anybody here has had to do this.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it a lot!

Offline CptnBlues63

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »
Ok, so I contacted Avaya support on this.

Their resolution remains untried as it involved using the CLI.  Not that I'm  against using my CLI (I do whenever possible, it's usually so muck quicker) but I was told to go into "global configuration mode" by the support person but I seem to not be able to.  Perhaps it's  just  my core switches but, when I telnet in and login  with the RW access I'm immediately in "privileged" mode (# symbol in prompt denotes privilege mode).  When I try "configure terminal" it would appear I don't have that.  See below:

CoreSwitch-1:5#  config term
config "term" not found in path /CoreSwitch-1:5/config
CoreSwitch-1:5# config ?

Sub-Context: bootconfig cfm cli diag r-module ethernet fdb filter ip ipv6 lacp lldp log mlt nsna mpls spbm qos rmon slamon slot slpp snmp-server snmp-v3 stg sys vlacp vlan web-server tacacs rsp-trace wireless-switch
Current Context:

info

CoreSwitch-1:5#

The support tech seems to be unable to tell me what's going on or  why I can't seem to get into global configuration mode.  I'm not  sure at this point either.

Regardless, I figured  out how to make the changes myself in the GUI via COM.

Here are the steps:
- Open switch in GUI
- Open port on which you need to make change
- Go to VLAN tab
- disable LoopDetect (ie: uncheck box beside 'LoopDetect' and  click 'Apply'
- change LoopDetectAction setting to whatever you want and click 'Apply'
- enable LoopDetect and click 'Apply'

There was no loss of connectivity during this procedure.

So, I posted my procedure  in case anybody else comes looking for it.  But, if any of you regulars know  why I'm having CLI issues, I'd love to hear  why so feel free to respond here  or  via PM.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:06:29 PM by CptnBlues63 »

Offline TankII

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
Do you have any ACLs on the port?  I've noted those interfere with many changes at the port level if done via JDM/EDM/CLI.
TankII

Offline pat2012

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
Concerning the CLI problems you are having.  The "config term" command is used with the ACLI - Avaya CLI.  Your switch seems to be in CLI mode.  What version of software are you running?  I cannot remember off-hand from which version the ACLI is available, but I believe it's release 5.0.

To switch to ACLI mode:

config bootconfig flags acli true
save bootconfig mode acli
save config mode acli

Reboot switch.  Then you would be in ACLI mode.