• November 24, 2020, 10:35:35 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 802.1x authentication failure notification/trap?  (Read 2663 times)

Offline jp.briggs

• Rookie
802.1x authentication failure notification/trap?
« on: June 14, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »
We've got a mix of 5520s, 425s, 470s 8300s and 8600s.

We're starting to roll out 802.1x EAPoL, but I'm struggling to figure out a good way to be notified when a port has authentication fail. I've got a trap receiver, and occasionally I'll see a 5520 send an EapAccessViolation trap, which seems to set the port to F Unauth; but I think that's related to eapol multihost settings (too many macs plug into a port.

Is there a trap notification of any kind that I can key off of to capture a port either not authenticating properly, or even a malicious user plugging in?

Thanks,

Offline Michael McNamara

• Administrator
    • michaelfmcnamara
    • Michael McNamara
Re: 802.1x authentication failure notification/trap?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:54:47 PM »
The version of software is probably going to play a big role.... later versions of software have a lot of improvements in their EAPoL implementations. I can't say personally because I haven't worked with EAPoL very much.

The ERS 8600s support a lot more traps (and logging) than the stackable switches.

Good Luck!
We've been helping network engineers, system administrators and technology professionals since June 2009.
If you've found this site useful or helpful, please help me spread the word. Link to us in your blog or homepage - Thanks!