• September 18, 2020, 06:54:06 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: End of Sale - Secure Router 1000 series, 3120  (Read 4439 times)

Offline telecom116

End of Sale - Secure Router 1000 series, 3120
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »
Avaya has announced the Discontinuation of Secure Router 1001, 1002, 1004 and Secure Router 3120 products.  Last sale day is Dec. 2, 2013. See https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100170618 for more information and end of support dates.

PS: There is the following statement in this document:
Note that this EOS notice will not be publically available from www.avaya.com.
So, if it's not publically available, how will we know about it?  :-X

Offline Telair

• Global Moderator
Re: End of Sale - Secure Router 1000 series, 3120
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »
Humm.  wonder what the decision process behind that was.  Well, here is to hoping that with the freeing up of resources that they will put more effort in to the SR2330 and 4134 code.  I would really like a GUI on those boxes...

Offline telecom116

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »
After flushing out bad hardware on the T1 interfaces in the early days after their purchase of Tasman Networks, the units have performed fairly well for us.  I have lots of branch offices needing 20-40 Ethernet ports and 1-2 T1s of WAN interface where I just need a small router along with a separate PoE switch.  For whatever reason I'm not excited by an all-in-one T1 WAN router/switch combo.*  They have not kept up with adding more options to the code for these units, like SNMPv3 and Circuitless IP.  Our company is basically an ABC (Anything But Cisco) and really wanted Avaya to come up with a replacement.  But, low end routers have become commodity and am testing another vendor's router equipment for my branches.  I have a couple of SR 3120s with DS-3 WAN interfaces, and one running with 4 T1s of MLPPP bandwidth and they don't even sweat.  The other vendor I am testing doesn't have DS3 except in their largest 3U high router.  Nice having DS3 interface in a nice compact, 1U package as the 3120 has.

*Well, the reason is most of my branches are out in Timbuktu and when you see Smartjacks blown off the wall by lightning strikes, I'm extremely happy that the only thing blown most of the time is the router, with the separate Ethernet switch still running keeping the branch in operation.  I do use a lot of 5500 switches with Advanced Routing licenses but all are fiber-MetroE-fed with a nice piece of glass keeping the lightning strikes out of the facility.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:21:56 PM by telecom116 »

Offline Paul L

• Global Moderator
    • paulaleroux
    • Paul's Networking blog
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »
Being a pure Data, Switching and Router guy the Secure Router product line has always been an enigma to me. I have been told that in 12yrs of my Company's existence we didn't sell that many.  And avaya doesn't sell that many of them as well.

but I do understand the need for the SR product line on the telephony side of business. And I know that we do promote the Advance Gateway 2330.  Which to the best of my knowledge is just a SR2000

However, when customers talk to us about a pure data play for a branch office or firewall solution to replace Contivities we always position PaloAlto. We don't even talk about the SR. 

ACSS- Avaya Enterprise Routing Switch  #8