• October 21, 2019, 12:19:09 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Avaya 8180/Apple  (Read 3457 times)

Offline mattylad

• Rookie
Avaya 8180/Apple
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
More fun and games with Avaya.  This time round we cannot get Apple devices (iphone, ipad, macbook to name but a few) to redirect to the captive portal.  I'm from a Cisco background, and haven't seen this with the Cisco WLC's.  Are there any known issues with Apple/Avaya compatability?  For info, the iOS is the latest, 6.1.3.

Offline TankII

Re: Avaya 8180/Apple
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Having this problem right now with our Visitor network.
iOS and Android Operating systems appear to query DNS differently than Blackberry, OSX, or Windows.
We have our DNS/DHCP running on a Cisco 877 because the router that we were using for both BYOD and Visitor DNS/DHCP was being overwhelmed by the request traffic iOS (Come on - 14 DHCP requests/minute per device?  Really Apple?) and Android put on the system.
However, we have to periodically (once a week or so) reboot the 877 to clear up DNS resolution for the iOS/Android crowd on Visitor due to failing name resolution - which is the portal page as first-stop.  Windows, Blackberry, and OSX work fine throughout the problem existence.

TankII

Offline mattylad

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »
We don't have a DNS issue - we just don't get redirected to the captive portal, and therefore can't get out on the internet. 

Anyway, it's a 4 day weekend staring in 45 mins, so I'll worry about this when I'm back next week!  ;)

Offline TankII

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »
Well, we don't have a DNS issue with non iOS or Android devices either, but these devices don't get proper DNS resolution so cannot reach the portal page while DNS is in it's funky state.

TanKII