• September 21, 2018, 08:45:17 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Registration is free.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Wireless Bridge  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Radio_Head

Wireless Bridge
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:10:27 AM »
Good day to you all,

I have setup a wireless bridge using two AP7532, The bridge appears to be working. It is connecting two buildings together about 100m apart. so on the remote site the AP7532 connects straight into a network switch, The AP that is forming the bridge is not servicing any local clients so all radios are assigned to the bridge.
I have put both AP's that are apart of the bridge into to an RF Domain,
On the AP that is the root it is set to True, Root selection method is set to None , Path method is set to uniform 

Any wifi for the clients will be provided by a an AP7131N within the remote building, but most clients will mainly be wired.

When I connect the AP7131 to the network switch at the remote site it powers up fine, however if fails to show up on the RFS7k

On the RFS7K under Statistics / meshpoint I can see the bridge, The meshconnect Policy is set to mesh point

Is there something else I need to configure so the AP7131N will show up in the RFS7K ?

Thanks in advance

Offline Gary Hartstone

• Rookie
Re: Wireless Bridge
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »
Is the AP7131 trying to adopt via Layer2 or Layer3? If Layer2, try changing to Layer3.

Offline Radio_Head

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 01:57:54 AM »
Not sure its that, It looks like the bridge is not passing DHCP requests, On the remote side of the bridge I put a polycom VOIP deskphone with a static IP, this works, The AP is set to DHCP, when I look at the if brief, its not showing an IP,

So It looks Like I need to enable somthing on the bridge profile, The clients are all set to DHCP, so these will not work when they are due to move in,

The other thing I have noticed that if the bridge is powered off at one end, It will not come back when powered on, I have followed the "how-to Guide ( 1 Hop Mesh ) But I'n not sure if I have missied somthing.

I have not tried adding the prefered Root to the Neighbour / neighbour to to root ( MAC )  Would this Help ? is that more for when there are muliple AP's in a mesh ?

Offline jcoehoorn

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 12:53:05 PM »
I had a similar problem with dhcp setting up a bridge with a different vendor (Engenius). In the end I settled for carving out IP space (special vlan) and wlan ssid for that area and setting up a machine in the building to act as a dhcp server there.

I know of several others who have high-end Cisco or Aruba networks, but still use Ubiquiti equipment for their wireless bridge links. One is an admin at a University near downtown Nashville. They have some locations a couple miles or several blocks away from the main campus, and others just across street. Even the short runs he said can cost $100,000 plus to put cabling under the street by the time you consider all the permitting. Longer runs they have used telco transit in the past, but when possible they're dropping those in favor Ubiquiti bridges, too. He swears by their bridges.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 12:59:01 PM by jcoehoorn »

Offline Radio_Head

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 12:58:06 PM »
Hi, it's an option I suppose, not sure the CEO will go for it, but hey I can offer it as an option

Offline AVAGO

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 03:06:45 AM »
Hi All
   I have setup the bridge using the EngeniusAC, seems OK, but I would still like to get the bridge working with the AP7532 3x3x3, I set it up just using the dipole antenna that come with the AP, and I can get it to work ( meshconnect) and its all very pretty, brings up a map on the RFS7k, but if you loose one end of the bridge it will not come back,

So I'm not sure if I should set the two AP7532's up stand alone or via the RFS.
The FW i'm at is 5.8.5, It may get sorted as we are talking to extreme about upgrading to the VX and our core network,
FYI - Extreme now own Brocade networking (datacentre ) and have made a bid to buy AVAYA ntworking

Offline McNulty

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 01:30:09 AM »
Did you get this working?
I had some thoughts:
Did you enable DHCP trust on all the relevant interfaces?
Did you check your allowed VLANs on the MESH (similar to allow command on a trunk port) as well as the physical interfaces?

Offline Radio_Head

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 04:11:11 AM »
Hi McNulty,
      This is now working, Both AP's are installed and the using the outdoor ML2452-PNL9M3-036, This is a dual-band Narrow Beam 3x3 Mimo antenna. I Need to just tweek the antenna to get  the best out of the link.

Do you have any advice for fine tuning or is it a case of while its working just fine adjustment up/dwn L/R
while transferring a  file 

many thanks for your assistance :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:37:02 AM by Radio_Head »

Offline McNulty

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 01:16:54 AM »
Glad to hear that it is working.
Regarding the antennas my advice is just to ensure that they are directly facing each other and have the same polarization (vertical/horizontal).
If you don't already know about things like Fresnel Zone then I suggest you reasearch that term.

Offline Radio_Head

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 02:14:38 AM »
Hi McNulty
    I have aligned the antenna which is a mimo unit ( two vertical and one horizontal in one housing narrow beam ) , using a plastic tube and a laser pen, marked the centre of the antenna then stick the tube to the antenna sticky tape, then wrapped electrical tape round the pen to build it up so it would be held secure and switched on, then moved the antenna till the pointer hit the other antenna,
Crude I know but it works :)

many thanks for you help and advice